Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #21

assuming paramaters are ok, tuesday or wendsday i will by a clown and a few hermits, i will get a black and white clown and a normal clown, however can i just get the orange one this week and wait til next week to get the black and white, ps the black and white will be bigger

Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
how much of the rock was cured? and youre bacteria could have used up the ammonia and is dying off if they dont have a food source. they are very efficient at what they do, and as such decline rapidly without nutrients. if you can get your hands on some pure ammonia, i would dose up to 5ppm wait 24hrs and see where its at. or you can drop a shrimp in and in a few days test again, but it wont be breaking down enough to create ammonia even in the first day, so the fastest is dosing.
this stuff is pretty cheap and you just dose 2 drops/gal to get 4 ppm I believe? it has instructions anyhow
Ammonium Chloride Solution

Old 10-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #23

all 30 pounds were cured, im not allowed to have the shrimp(smell) why would i need amonia, i cycled right?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #24

i also have diatoms and alage
Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #25

if i were to dose with ammonia, how long would it be until i could add fish?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheyp
assuming paramaters are ok, tuesday or wendsday i will by a clown and a few hermits, i will get a black and white clown and a normal clown, however can i just get the orange one this week and wait til next week to get the black and white, ps the black and white will be bigger
You'll need to add them at the same time and make sure one is bigger or it won't work.

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Youre adding an ammonia source because you think you are cycled, but you said your shrimp was only in for four days, which makes me think that you might have starved your bb. 2 weeks certainly isnt unheard of esp if you used cured lr. You just want to be sure .

This stuff from tims doesnt smell as bad as indistrial ammonia, many aay there is no smell.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

has it really been two weeks already? I would be sure you are cycled before adding any fish or you risk losing the fish and clean up crew.

Nothing is fast in saltwater, just always remember that.

If this were my tank I would dose pure ammonia for a few days to make sure your ammonia will drop to 0 within 24 hours. Just my opinion and what I would do. Putting another shrimp in the tank will just take longer for it to decompose while the pure ammonia will be immediate.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #29

just ordered pure ammonia, how long should it take for my tank to be ready for fish?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

it really depends, each tank is different. most take around 4 weeks, sometimes things get stalled and it takes quite a bit longer. Using cured lr can certainly speed the process, but even in the 1/2 hr it takes to get home there is considerable die off. The bacteria we are looking for duplicate themselves, under perfect conditions it takes like 12 hrs, most of the time we are not giving them perfect conditions and are likely looking at doubling every 20-30hrs. Because each tank is different its impossible to say itll take this many hrs from this pt. we dont know how many you started with, how fast they are reproducing, or how many you need for your bioload...

thats the long answer here's the short it is possible that you are cycled, but instead of rushing, you want to make sure you're giving your fish the best possible home, which involves adding ammonia, and making sure your bacterial colony can turn it to nitrates in 24hrs.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com