Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #41

thanks for all the help, i wasnt understanding
now a seperate question
which stock list would u choose for a 20 long, i will be getting a cuc mushrooms and a duncans polyp and a reef lobster

list a.
marroon clown
pygmy angel
longnose hawk
royal dottyback

List B
Pygmy angel
longnose hawk
royal gramma
2 clowns
1 other small fish

Old 10-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most of the fish in list a are somewhat aggressive and may eat your corals. I would stay away from the list. List b is better but way to many fish for that tank. If I were you, I would go with 2 clowns, royal gramma and maybe one other small fish that is non-aggressive and reef safe. Go to Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and read up on the fish you are thinking of putting in the tank. Most everything will say 30 gal tank or larger but I think you will ok with those three and maybe one other fish that stays small.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #43

assuming i had a real cycle, after i put in ammonia i will need to do a pwc the next day to lower trates right?
Old 10-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is correct. You want trates as close to 0 as possible. Many say anything under 20 is good enough but I feel a lot safer if I am between 0 and 5.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #45

if u were to guess, am i cycled or not?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheyp View Post
if u were to guess, am i cycled or not?
That is the point, I wouldn't guess. Unless you want to set yourself up for a lot of disappointment, DON"T GUESS. LOL You are going to have this tank for a long time. Waiting a little while longer may be tough now but in the long run it will seem like it didn't take long at all. Be patient and do it right and you will have tons of fun with it. Get in a hurry and you will constantly be pulling you hair out and eventually give up on it because nothing seems to work right. Everything good in life comes through patients and hard work. Same thing goes for SW Aquariums.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #47

i got the pure ammonia, will dose tonight
i was just wondering, i have an 3 inch sandbed, 30 pounds of live rock and the water level is 2 inches below the top
how much water do you u think i have in the 20 gallon long tank
Old 10-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have 30 lbs of rock I would bet you have just over 10 gallons of water. Start with a just a drop or two of ammonia, give it 30 minutes then check the ammonia level. You want to get it up to 4 ppm. Once it is at 4 ppm, wait 24 hours and run a complete test. If your am and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is high, you have cycled. Next do PWC of 10% or 20% until the Nitrates are below 5 or as close to 0 as you can get it. Then, you are ready for fish.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #49

thanks, lets pray that im cycled, but if not, this will cycle it right
Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will get the cycle moving. If you don't see the results I posted in the previous post, keep dosing it each day up to 4 ppm until you see the am and nitrite drop to 0 in a 24 hour period. Could go quick or it could go on for awhile. Just wait it out, you will be glad you did I promise.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com