Am i cycling wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kurtyboh said:
you can get one damsel, clowns are a type of damsel; they least aggressive of them at least... Clowns have also been known to attack divers that get to close to their host.

My Clown attacks my hand whenever I put it in the tank, LOL.

pretty much everything says to use caution when pairing those two. which means they may or may not get along. Having space between them would help alleviate the problem. I personally would do it.

Make sure you have a cover on the tank

Last edited:
after a trip to the lfs, stocking has for the most part been decided
the 2 clowns (doing great btw)
7 mushrooms
1 royal gramma
1 cherub angel
1 fish to be picked and paid for by my grandma (should be under 50 bucks any ideas?)
cuc including shrimp

after research i think a cherub is, they are very smallest and closest to reef safe dwarf angels.

Ehh, I would really listen to their advice.. Theyve been doing this for much longer than you or me.. I don't know much about that angel, I've only read about the flame angel and I heard they can be very aggressive and are a wildcard.

According to Live aquaria it's a minimum of 30g and they are semi aggressive. They also may or may not be reef safe.

ok, reef safe is one issue but more importantly isnt a 20 long in essence a 30, not trying to start a fight, just asking

needmorecowbell said:
You should get a watchmen goby!!! Pretty but not completely sure if its okay in your tank.

I second that. They, in my opinion, are "the bomb dot com."

Well angels are really active so a 20 gallon might be a tad bit small for him.
If its a reef then I would stay away because there's a good chance he might take a nibble at the corals. But I'm no expert or anything...

first...not trying to be harsh...a 30 gallon and a 20 gallon differ in volume by 50%...no matter how you do the math. So if they say a minimum of 30 gallons...doesn't mean you can't do whatever you want to...add a shark...20 gallons is perfect for a mini reef and a great start...but it is what it is.

Dwarf angles all play off the same game plan...they sing from the same hymn book. Yes, there is variance...but in general they are omnivores that will eat about anything that looks tasty. In the wild, they range a pretty large area, unlike grammas and firefish who stay put. So a small space is kind of cruel for them.

I am just trying to be helpful...just my opinion along with everyone else's. Weigh that with what your going to do anyway and enjoy.

i really like the angel though, do you have any suggestions on tank modifications or simmilar fish

first...not trying to be harsh...a 30 gallon and a 20 gallon differ in volume by 50%...no matter how you do the math. So if they say a minimum of 30 gallons...doesn't mean you can't do whatever you want to...add a shark...20 gallons is perfect for a mini reef and a great start...but it is what it is.

Dwarf angles all play off the same game plan...they sing from the same hymn book. Yes, there is variance...but in general they are omnivores that will eat about anything that looks tasty. In the wild, they range a pretty large area, unlike grammas and firefish who stay put. So a small space is kind of cruel for them.

I am just trying to be helpful...just my opinion along with everyone else's. Weigh that with what your going to do anyway and enjoy.
everyone says they need the lenth of a 30 but in my tank it would.

As someone said before, we can only advise you to do something, not make you. It's your tank do whatever, but just know we advised you not to and that's what everyone is saying.

It would be plain cruelty to the angel. How about this?

2 clowns
1 gramma
1 watchman goby

Or

2 clowns
1 gramma
1 bangaii cardinal

Or

1 clown
1 gramma
1 cardinal
1 watchman goby

Those are some pretty cool ideas. I just think that even if the angel were to survive the stress of being in such a small tank he would be SUPER aggressive toward everything.

fish dont just swim back and forth, its up and down in different patterns all over the place, and secondly your tank doesn't have the dimensions of a 30, but a 29 which is a tall tank. look at the standard dimensions of a 30 and compare to yours.. they are not the same. Yours is shy by 6 inches. If you want to get into semantics, or technically speaking on size so it should fit; that's your difference.

Back
Top Bottom