Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Am I dealing with coralline algae?

Iíve had a salt water aquarium for a year and 5 months, Iíve never had green algae grow on my glass, and rarely any purple. Itís mostly on my sand bed and on the live rock(the purple). For awhile Iíve been trying to get rid of it by siphoning it out or just scraping it off but then I came across something saying that itís good algae? Iíll post a few pictures because Iím confused about it. Bad or good, I canít seem to get rid of it. I change 25% of my water every week and I have a 15 gallon tank. Is it coralline algae? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated because I plan on adding coral soon! Thanks! (Donít mind the fake plants, my clowns like to sleep in them lol) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9496.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	309668

Old 07-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see some patchy coraline but the heavy, concentrated stuff is cyanobacteria. Not good.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
I see some patchy coraline but the heavy, concentrated stuff is cyanobacteria. Not good.

Okay, thanks! Iíll do my best to clear it up soon
Old 07-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It comes off easy with a toothbrush and light suction for removal. Added flow and lower nitrates to remedy.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
It comes off easy with a toothbrush and light suction for removal. Added flow and lower nitrates to remedy.

Sounds good, I plan on doing a water change tomorrow with self-mixed RODI water rather than the ocean water from the pet store. Iím hoping more frequent self-mixed water changes and moving my wave pump lower in my tank will help. I have a column tank and the pump is more towards the top above the live rock, not the best idea. Anyways, thanks!
Old 07-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yah.. that ocean water... I've heard it can come loaded with excess nutrients. I've been using distilled water. 2 TDs.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mixing your own saltwater with RODI is going to be the best bet for any salt tank. If the cyano does get out of hand it can be a real pain to get rid of. A trick I have used before is erythromycin. It is a fish medicine for bacterial infections ,but cyano being a bacteria it will kill it as well and not affect the beneficial bacteria in your tank . It will come back if you do not get your nitrates down though.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
Mixing your own saltwater with RODI is going to be the best bet for any salt tank. If the cyano does get out of hand it can be a real pain to get rid of. A trick I have used before is erythromycin. It is a fish medicine for bacterial infections ,but cyano being a bacteria it will kill it as well and not affect the beneficial bacteria in your tank . It will come back if you do not get your nitrates down though.

Good to know, thanks! Iím going to see if doing water changes with RODI mixed water helps clear it up a little first (tomorrow Iím doing my first change that isnít pre bought sea water). Itís only on my LR and a little bit is on the sand but Iíll definitely look into that product considering the cyano is also on a fake plant that my clownfish like to sleep in. I donít want to remove it because theyíve loved sleeping in plants since they were young. Iíll eventually remove it once I get something else that theyíd host instead. Fake plants ruin the reef look that Iím going for but the fish have claimed the plant lol. Going to look into getting some coral for them after a few weeks of water changes with RODI water and fritz aquatics reef pro mix salt to balance everything out and hopefully get rid of the cyano
Old 07-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #9
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

actually it looks like red slim IMO cayno is more on the brownish orange side

Tags
algae, coral, coralline, line

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com