Am I Feeding My Fish Enough Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 75 gallon tank with a hippo tang, juvenile blue emperor angel which is about 3-4 inches long so still small and 3 damsel fish (two blue with yellow tail and one black and white striped)

I feed them every day one cube of formula 1 (chopped up before putting in) then alternate the other day with one cube of formula 2.

they seem to be doing already on this diet. i did happen to have a yellow tang that died 3-4 months ago for whatever reason.. but besides the point i hope.

if this is enough, great, but please let me know if i need to feed more, or what else i can feed them because i would like to diversify what they eat.

Thanks for the advice.

stan450z said:
I have a 75 gallon tank with a hippo tang, juvenile blue emperor angel which is about 3-4 inches long so still small and 3 damsel fish (two blue with yellow tail and one black and white striped)

I feed them every day one cube of formula 1 (chopped up before putting in) then alternate the other day with one cube of formula 2.

they seem to be doing already on this diet. i did happen to have a yellow tang that died 3-4 months ago for whatever reason.. but besides the point i hope.

if this is enough, great, but please let me know if i need to feed more, or what else i can feed them because i would like to diversify what they eat.

Thanks for the advice.

Your tank is to small to house these fish that's only gonna result in long term problems. the more sea food u feed them them the better also algea sheets

Damsels should be fine in that tank. I've never heard of them being in 3's but I guess it works for you.

You cannot necessarily over feed your fish. More or less they won't eat if they are not hungry, they will not eat. However, that doesn't mean just throw tons of food in your tank! You want to be sure to feed only as much as they will finish in about 5 minutes and anything left over should be removed from the tank otherwise you will end up with excess nutrients in the tank. As far as variety, I know the angel and damsels will appreciate a more meaty diet such as brine shrimp, bloodworms and others as such. You can usually find those at any LFS in frozen form and live would be even better. As far as the tang, they appreciate algae as well as meaty foods. You may find that they eat the frozen foods, but they should also be offered nori sheets (available at the grocerie store, used for seafood wraps) or other algae sheets from the LFS. someone please correct me if I am wrong but this is all info that I have learned first hand.

And I have to agree, your tank is too small for both your angel and tang. Not to say that they are overwhelming your Bio load or that they are feeling cramped now but they will, and quickly. I advise getting the two into a larger tank as soon as possible. Just my 2¢

While Justin is right that they will eventually stop eating... I do have to disagree. Fish are not the brightest and will eat themselves sick. It's far easier to overfeed than to underfeed. And overfeeding also increases the levels of dissolved organics, and therefore nutrients. Hello algae!

Under feeding? Most likely not. I agree They do not stop when full. More than the size look at your fish (post pics) How do they look? Sunken stomach yes underfed if not u r fine.

Tank Size yes I would say will get Small as they grow. Try looking into 125 gallon almost same footprint.

+1 to nori sheets for the tang. They love it.
Most fish stores feed the one from grocery stores. Sashimi nori 10 sheets for 99cents.

MacDracor said:
+1 to Heera for the shopping tip! Just be absolutely sure to get unsalted unseasoned nori.

Thanks MacDracor,
I agree that nori shouldn't have preservatives and extra salt added.

But am just thinking Since nori comes from ocean and its sun dried. Doesn't it already contain salt? While doing the nutrition label they have to say that it contains salt and how much.
I guess In that case go with the one with the lowest salt.

There is unsalted one too? where do u buy it from?

I been trying different brands of seaweed every time to see how my fish respond.
Plz post pic of the package u use. Than I will buy the same one and see how my fish respond to that.

Big difference between "contains salt because it's ocean based" and "salt added because humans love to eat more sodium than is healthy"
It's possible your stores don't carry to seasoned kinds, which would be good. Also, there are roasted and sun dried varieties, but I doubt that makes a huge difference. Even though I know I'm paying a retarded markup, I actually buy my nori from the LFS. San Francisco Bay Brand fish foods.
If you're not noticed visible salt grains/deposits on your nori, then it's probably unsalted. I don't know about Canada, but in the US, I see people put salt on everything. Even things that are already heavily salted.

MacDracor said:
Big difference between "contains salt because it's ocean based" and "salt added because humans love to eat more sodium than is healthy"
It's possible your stores don't carry to seasoned kinds, which would be good. Also, there are roasted and sun dried varieties, but I doubt that makes a huge difference. Even though I know I'm paying a retarded markup, I actually buy my nori from the LFS. San Francisco Bay Brand fish foods.
If you're not noticed visible salt grains/deposits on your nori, then it's probably unsalted. I don't know about Canada, but in the US, I see people put salt on everything. Even things that are already heavily salted.

Lol. I come over to bellingham and Seattle to visit friends. I know what u mean its double the salt and portion size compared to what we have in canada.

So what ur saying is choose one with least salt.
I AGREE.

Yeah, no kidding. So, recapping here.
You're probably not underfeeding, and a couple of those fish will get way too big for a 75.

Back
Top Bottom