Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #21
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I also think your maxed out, but I'm not a paying member of the tang police association. Just watch your fish and keep an eye out for aggression as it will surely happen when they get bigger and want/need more room. Once that does happen it's up to you to make the right choice in the best interest of those fish.

As far as how big they can get, when I had my 50 gal(3'long) still set up I had a yellow tang in there for about 4 yrs. It got about 6" and was definitely cramped. I gave it to a friend who had a 120 and she put it in with her 12" naso. I would guess the yellow grew another inch or so. The 120 with a 7" yellow and 12"+ naso along with the other fish she had looked cramped to me. There was some aggression, but no fights to the death. Big fish simply need their own space.

With that being said, in my 75 I have a powder blue tang, coral beauty, pair of orange skunks living in a sebae, yellow watchman goby and a lawnmower blennie. I don't plan on getting anymore fish. I like the look of a few fish and lots of coral.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
but I'm not a paying member of the tang police association.
Please do not be rude in reference to people that are giving good advice. Smart comments such as that do nothing but create a hostile environment and we won't have that here.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:46 PM   #23
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
Quote:
but I'm not a paying member of the tang police association.
Please do not be rude in reference to people that are giving good advice. Smart comments such as that do nothing but create a hostile environment and we won't have that here.
WHAT?????? Where did this come from? You are kidding I hope. Smart comments? Hara...I have no comment to that.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:05 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

ryguy, There are no hard feelings as far as I'm concerned and I apologize to you as well. I did feel attacked on my opinions and responded by attacking in return.

I am of the opinion that putting fish into an aquarium that have proven FOR MOST to not work is unethical. Yes I said unethical. Some don't agree and that is why we have these forums for discussion. Some have "37+" years of experience and an opinion too but even with that its only an experienced opinion. I am also of the opinion that fish can and will out grow their environment in the home aquarium. I have personally seen yellow tangs in excess of 5" in a 90 gallon aquarium, aquarium smaller, and larger too. I didn't like it then nor do I like it now. It's only my opinion and when ask again I'll tell anyone the same thing.

I think we all failed to ask for as much info as we could get from the original poster before answering and thus we have failed, to this point, to really help.

Gatorfreek, are you prepared to do what you HAVE to do when problems arise whether it be from aggression or size?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:04 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow... what a thread. Seems like the flames are being self quenched, congratulations to all on that. In an aside... that yellow tang which killed my wrasse, it was around 7" and that was without its fins!!! I know the lady had it since it was a juvenile, and she only had it for 5 years. So that says it was either one hurking big juvenile or she really took care of it all until she "lost interest" (a side note, she's now breeding poodles.... people like that scare me.) So yes, fish can grow big pretty quick.

And an admission... I have a juvenile sailfin in my 58. It's only around 2-3" so far, but growing pretty quick, and is the main reason I'm upgrading to the 135. I also have the target mandarine which replaced my six line, and one sailfin/algae eating blenny. These are the only fish I feel comfy with in my tank, and my filtration is superb. I too like a tank with lots of inverts and only a few fish, but I plan to add some fire gobies and some blue green chromis to the 135. I won't, however, add any more tangs. I love them, they're beautiful, but I personally think one sailfin in a 135 is plenty. If I were to add another, it would be a kole tang, or a Tomini bristletooth. Both of which only hit around 5-6" max, and are much more mellow than the bigger surgeonfish.

And I thought the tang police comment was kinda funny. People need to maintain a sense of humor here... it really is too easy for everybody to gang up on one person when you don't ever have to LOOK at the person.

Cheers and good luck with those fish. I'd lose a tang before adding any gobies if I were you. Tangs make BIG poop!!!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:11 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

These posts have gone off topic and headed for personal attacks and ego trips. THIS IS RIDICULOUS...
Old 03-11-2006, 02:20 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzecawi
Tangs make BIG poop!!!
VERY true and thanks, this thread and I needed this bit of humor.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:25 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
These posts have gone off topic and headed for personal attacks and ego trips. THIS IS RIDICULOUS...
I think we've kept on topic actually quite well. Everything that has been discussed has been about what people consider "max capacity," as asked in the title. I'm sorry that you find an opionated discussion rediculous, but I do have faith that it won't result in intentional personal attacks and puffed out chests.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think we may be missing the point. The best way to determine if your tank is "over-stocked" is to turn to your water parameters. If you have consistatly good readings with a normal maintanance schedule chances are you are not oerstocked. This seems to be more of an issue with fish selection. Meaning, choosing appropriate fish for the appropriate tank. We all know that some fish require a lot more room then others and that some fish do not play well with others. This should all be factored in when making a descision on how to stock a tank. The problem is that it is very subjective. It is much harder to quantify this, as you can with NH3, NO2, NO3 levels. This is why we do rely on loose guidelines for stocking. Many on this dite do feel that three tangs in a 4ft 90gal tank is just too many (myself included). However, if you ask the LFS they will say you have room for more. We are here to offer advice, not set up, stock or clean your tank. Some choose to take it, others already have their minds made up and ignor it. Advice is all we have to offer. I do wish you success with your new addiions.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I created a monster with this thread.

Yes, if I see any signs of trouble I will do something about it. I take pride in keeping my critters healthy. If I'd asked this question *before* going to the LFS, I wouldn't have bought them. But since they're in there and still quite small, I'll see how it goes.

Tags
cap, capacity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com