Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Am I getting near max capacity?

I know there are rules of thumb on this sort of thing but there's really just too much to factor in to just have a rule. I recently added a Powder Brown Tang and a Regal Tang. So I'm wondering if now I'm maxed out, or close.

Setup: 90 gal reef, 30 gal sump, 150 # LR, Skimmer: AquaC Urchin Pro

Fish:
2 False Percs
Yellow Tang
Spotted Mandarin
Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby
Star Blenny
Cleaner Wrasse
Court Jester Goby
Powder Brown Tang
Regal/Hippo/Blue Tang

Also have the usual inverts. The Regal is just a baby (< 1") and the PBT is about 3" so it doesn't look full now but I know you gotta consider adult sizes. My guess is that I could still add a few small fish (like gobies) but that would be about it. Opinions?

Old 03-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i wouldnt add anymore fish think you already have enough

Old 03-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i s it really possible to put 3 different tangs in a 90 gallon?

philly
philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Possible? I did it. Advisable? So far two people don't think so. The guy at the LFS said (famous last words) he has 7 tangs in a 110 gal.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not to sound like an a$$ here but IMO you've not only exceeded the limit for your tank but are bordering on unethical. The tangs will shortly either outgrow the tank and make a return trip to the LFS or simply not survive.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is no golden rule of how many fish you can keep in a tank. People read these rules and preach them having never seen any of the aquascaping, distinct personalities of a specific fish and overall size of the specimen at the time.

These rules are rough estimates and aren't always accurate. They are based on general teritorial concerns and your systems ability to filter the wastes the animals produce. You need to observe the fish that you have in the aquarium, if they are showing sign of aggression and being teritorial, then there is a good chance the new fish recently added is causing some serious stress and things need to re-evaluated. Without fully knowing what a persons setup is (ie lbs of live rock, quality of skimmer, husbandry practices etc..), it is hard to tell someone that it is unethical and impossible to keep that many fish in a system. Is it recommended? maybe not, is it possible, without some form of stress and overall health detriments to the fish? certainly.

Keep in mind, that when your fish get bigger, you also gotta start re-evaluating your livestock and their requirements. If you have juvenile tangs, you'll be able to get away with it more until they grow bigger and need more room.

Just because you have a 50 gallon tank doesn't mean you get to have 10" of fish EXACTLY! You may get some very "nice" specimens that aren't territorial and be able to get much more with proper husbandry techniques and equipment. On the other hand, depending on the fish you get, you may get less than you hoped for, even when others tought your list was a light to medium load.

I agree that you have too many fish AT ONCE.....way too many, but people gotta stop preaching these rules of thumb like its the end all, be all to responsible fish keeping.

sorry for the rant, I maybe in a little bit of a foul mood

ryan
Old 03-10-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I believe you are over the limit in your stocking. Whether or not you choose to heed warnings is up to you. Inevitably, the proof will be in the crash and in illness of fish. Anyone who chooses to imply that there isn't any harm, is fooling himself, and you.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy
people gotta stop preaching these rules of thumb like its the end all, be all to responsible fish keeping.
Preaching?? ....... well maybe so but I'll guarantee you if you ask this person in 3-6 months what the outcome of this situation was it will be something that ended in either the death or return to the LFS of one or more of the mentioned fish. These "rules of thumb" that some of us like to use simply come from good old fashion EXPERIENCE.

Edited to add this as a point. 150lbs of LR in a 90 gal tank doesn't leave alot of room. Again speaking from experience. I have a 90 gal tank with less than 150lbs of LR and its crowded and VERY difficult to catch a fish to remove after being added.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Preaching?? ....... well maybe so but I'll guarantee you if you ask this person in 3-6 months what the outcome of this situation was it will be something that ended in either the death or return to the LFS of one or more of the mentioned fish. These "rules of thumb" that some of us like to use simply come from good old fashion EXPERIENCE.
No where did I say overstocking was a good idea....you can re-read my post if you like. And no where did I say the rules of thumb aren't helpful. I DID say that it WAS too many fish, and my intent was to merely point out that this is still only a recommendation and not an enforced, hard-and-fast rule with no exceptions. Yes it is based on past experience, I agree, but to say that there is no exception to any rule, is just silly. And I'm glad people like Galileo and Isaac Newton realized that.

and I DID try to convey that there are also intances that you won't even be able to have the amount of fish that the rule claims you can have. It just all depends.

No need to paint me as the bad guy
Old 03-10-2006, 01:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
No need to paint me as the bad guy
Not my intentions at all. Unless your an advocate of this kind of husbandry. I'm simply making a point on this particular thread. We agreed on the overstocking. My personal opinion is to try something like this after so many have failed is not being responsible. You decided to "rant" when I stated the obvious.

Quote:
but to say that there is no exception to any rule, is just silly.
Now its your turn to go back and read the posts. Where did you read this?

Tags
cap, capacity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com