am i over stocked on clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
5 blue/red leg hermit
2 (new) nassarius snails, they are pretty big..
1 tiger conch(does not clean that well in one side)
2 nerite snails
1 midas blenny
1 ywm
tiger pistol shrimp
gsp
xenia
mushroom and polyp
i want to add a fire shrimp, is that possible? or any other shrimp?
20 long

how much would you feed this tank per day? I usually give a pinch of mysis, i crumble up 1 other small shrimp, and a few pellets

i tested my nitrates and they raised again, even though i am only using ro water from the fish store. I think i am still over feeding, but will adding the snails help? i already do 25% water change once a week, i will try to feed less. I feed this much because my midas and ywm eat a lot. They eat the entire meal within minutes, i wouldnt personally think its over feeding since they eat it all fast

I have a 29 gallon with 12 hermit crabs 2 cleaner shrimp 1 conch and 2 stomitella snails as my CUC. I have a occilaris clown a midas blenny and a coral beauty as well as a bit of coral (lps and softies). I would think you should be fine with adding a shrimp, mine do a good job at clean up as well as way any leftover food. I feed quite a bit as well because my coral beauty and midas blenny are pigs.

The nitrates may be from another source, mine have never been out of hand and like I said I feed a lot and perform a 10% water change biweekly. it could be a few things. What kind of filtration do you have? How much LR is in your tank? How long has your tank been running?

i dont know how i forgot but i meant to say i have a peppermint shrimp, and i wasnt sure if it would get along with the fire shrimp

nitrates look to be 20-40 ppm, hard to tell, but definitely not 0. I tested my ro water and it comes to 0 and my tank looks much darker

i think im at 4 months cycled maybe 5. At one point i had good nitrates when i started using ro water. I think it spiked due to topping off with distilled water, even though distilled water should be clean, i tested it. I use the api saltwater test kit, im pretty sure working because i test ro and distilled water to be at 0

IME, API test results need to be divided by 4. I have API and Red Sea, and I would test same tank with both and API was always about 4x higher result than Red Sea. So I don't think your Trates are as bad as you've been thinking. Hope that helps.

yes it does help, because when i look at my tanks ive seen several different eggs and different growths that i read are good tank parameters, and the nitrates are haunting me still lol

plus all my creatures look happy, i hear they dont do well at 40 nitrates

im going to be able to do more heavy water changes though since my ro unit gets here tomorrow :)

IMO dry foods add more nitrates and phosphates than frozen foods. Just based on my experience but not really sure

Back
Top Bottom