Am I Pushing it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevyMv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now I have a Coral beuty(2 weeks), a clown and coral banded shrimp that been in the tank for 6 months that actually came with the tank when I bought it. A yellow watchman goby(1month), a yellow Tang about little over a month and finally today a Hippo Tang. The tank has 5-8 hermit crabs, 6 snails and a giant chocolate chip starfish that came with the tank. The only loss I have was a Koran Angel that I put in the tank too early. The tank is 90 gallon with a 30 gal sump and about 50 pounds of live rock. I do water changes every two weeks about 8 gallons and feed every other day. My two questions are can I put anything else in the tank?(thinking maybe diamond goby) and also I feed the fish brine shrimp and been doing have a cube should I be giving them more. Now since the new tang I think I'll do a cube. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can't add anymore dwarf angels, just asking I don't think so...

IMO, you are not currently "over stocked". However, let your water parameters answer that question for you. Can you post NH3, NO2 and NO3? You may even have room for another small fish. Water changes can be adjusted according to test results. I do recommend upping your PWC to 12-15gal every tow weeks.

You do need to evaluate your feeding, especially with the tangs. Frozen brine shrimp is not the best option in terms of diet. There is really no nutritional value to it. Your fish need a much better mix of meaty and veggie foods. I recommend mysis shrimp, krill and clams, as well as spirulina flakes and hanging nori or dried seaweed strips in the tank for the tangs to graze on. When you prepare your frozen food, let it thaw and rinse it in RO/DI water or a little tank water. Adding supplements like Vita-chem, Selcon and garlic are also very important to the overall health of the fish. You might also consider alternating frozen food with a good quality flake, I like Prime Reef by Ocean Nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom