Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2005, 02:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmm thanks a lot guys for the input. i will take everybodys advice in consideration. Can anybody name soem good types or coral and how much they go for so i dont get jipped?

Old 10-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmm thanks a lot guys i will take all advice into consideration. Any one have any specific type of coral or shoom they can reccommend for begginers? also can you tell me how much they go for so i dont get jipped? what if im on a budget can you guys introduce me some cheap ones?

Old 10-04-2005, 03:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am just starting out with corals and you can expect to pay $15-100 for frags up to larger corals. So far mine have ranged from $20-30 each. They are in my sig.

Mushrooms and many leathers are also rated fairly hardy. You really need to take a look at what you want and then develop a plan as like fish not all corals are conducive to being together.

Keep in mind that even though it may seem like you have a lot of lighting with your 260w pc you are really at the low end of the light requirements. If you cannot upgrade right away look at corals that require low to moderate light and then place them in the top 1/2 to 1/4 of the tank.

Here is a good resource for reviewing coral requirements:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=597

One thing that has not been mentioned is water source. What is yours? RO is rcommended. If using TAP you need to be careful.

With corals there is more to test for than amonia, nitrites and nitrates. Recomend you get a CA and ALK test kit and check that. Also take a look at phospahates especially if you are using TAP water.

You can definatley look at getting some easy corals, but personally I would wait until your system is a bit more mature and you know all the water specs are in line. Also, you need to have a plan for fish. As mentioned before IMO the lion and eel are not a good idea.

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good point on the light afilter...
Like every one is saying having the eel and lion in a reef tank is going to be more work. They are large waste producers so keeping nitrates in check is going to take a better then average skimmer and regular water changes.
Eels can be kept in a reef, My buddy in the reef club has a large Hawaiian Eel and he is spectacular and he lives with a purple tang and other fish. The tank is a reef tank and he has some very nice corals. But he is always battling high Nitrates, so just keep in mind you will be doing more work on the tank with coral then w/out.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmm thankz a lot guys i think you guys have convinced me to really hold off on all the corals and stuff until my tank is more mature...imma wait another 3 months then research again
Old 10-05-2005, 12:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
i'd say get rid of the lion, your eel can definately thrive in reef conditions. the only issue i'd see is water changes. I have two eels a nd even with a skimmer running i need to do x2 water changes of 20% every week. if your willing to do that, keep the eel!

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, anemones, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com