Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2005, 12:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ChazYork
Am i using correct procedure to add water to SW tank?

the water level in my SW tank is low, so im adding "city" water just as i did to fill up the tank. I have a big bucket with water warming up and i added chlorine remover solution, can i just add the dechlorinated water? or should i wait? ANything other than that, besides adding salt because my salinity is running a bit high as well?

Old 12-13-2005, 12:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
definitely add fresh water, salt does not evaporate and your SPG will continue to rise if you just keep adding SW.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hope u won't get algea, cuz usualy tap water got enough phosphate to get hair algea take over ur tank
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
try to use ro/di water for your water source to prevent problems down the road.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:41 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Try testing your city water for phosphates to see what you get. If high, you may encounter algae problems. You can at least get RO water from large grocery store chains. RO/DI is even better - - until you invest in a RO/DI unit and make your own water.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It seems to me there should be some more steps in here...

First, how can anyone say whether he should be adding salt or not? He needs to check his specific gravity and figure out what he needs to do...if the salinity in his tank is a little up, then you might add water with salt but maybe not to the full 1.022-1.023 level. It also depends on how much water is in your tank and how much you are putting in. I think the common advice is to let the salt absorb in the new water (never add salt directly to the tank!) for at least 24 hours. I think there's some chemical reactions or something (?) that need to get done before it's safest to add the water to your tank.

Second, you also need to make sure the water you are adding has the right parameters. The chlorine remover stuff is good, but at least the first few times adding water using that source you should be checking for nitrates/nitrites/chlorine to make sure your levels are okay.

You also need to make sure the pH level is correct - you'll probably need to add some buffer to raise it up the the level that's good for your tank (8.2-8.3?).

Finally, I'm not sure where you live, but where I am it's a bit cold these days, and even in my heated house the new tank water gets cold, so before I add it I use a spare heater and heat it for half and hour at least so it's pretty close if not spot on to the temperature of my main tank's water.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong with any of this or if I left anything out...

Jeff
Old 12-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

When water evaporates, the salt stays. That's why if you check a tank's specific gravity with water that has evaporated, the salt content is higher. You just don't top off with salt water. Adjusting the salt level is a different thing, but can be done with water changes gradually IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jeff,

When topping off only for evaporation, you use fresh water, because the salt is left behind. Since most do weekly water changes, you can test SG then and correct it if too much salt creep has lowered SG. Usually though, my maintenance involves putting the 'creeped salt' back into the tank to restore SG and other minerals.

Most salt blends properly buffer the water, and again, buffer doesn't evaporate, just H2O.

He also stated he was heating the water while he let the dechlor do its magic.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I guess I'm just used to my tank - I change the water often enough that I really don't get too much evaporation, and since I take some (salt) water out before I add new water in, I need to put back in water that is at least a bit salty. I just manage the specific gravity in the existing vs. new water to make sure I'm keeping it right.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Jeff-

You are talking about a water change vs evaporation top-off. Of course, in a water change you will take out X amount of water and replace it with X amount of properly salted water.

I think we are thinking that Chaz is asking about top-off.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com