Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Amazing tank growth! -- update

Hey everyone,

So my tank has been doing fairly well recently, except for the ich.

I went away for a week and did not feed the fish or anything. My friend topped up water once while I was gone.

I came back to...

healthier, ich-free BIGGER fish
all inverts alive and well
corals growth ^^^^^^^
clearer water than before
99% nuisance algae gone

The tank is 10x better than when I was here! I wish I could take pictures but I left my camera away from home. things are going really well and I'm going to try to take a hands off approach these days

Also - I have confirmed my upgrade to a 150g tank! I'm really excited about this and will be planning the parts I use in the near future. 48x24x30"tall with corner overflow. Planning for about 3" of sand at the bottom.

Here are pics from before i went home:

Pics

Old 02-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Cool. Can't wait to see pictures of the updated tank.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I cant wait either.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

10x better? I can't wait either.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unfortunately it will probably be 2 weeks before I get my camera back.

I've noticed that my pod population has decreased a TON, and my sergeant major damsel is now the largest damsel by a lot... so he must've eaten all the pods.

The sebae anemone I added has quadrupled in size now and stays open nicely all day. It's about 4-5" across now. Tomato clownfish has been put back in (killing a friend's coral) so I'm hoping he will host it.

My favorite coral by far is the frogspawn. It's doing great and is huge compared to before. My torch coral is doing so-so. It went from 9 heads down to 2 (long 3 hour trip in cold). The 2 heads are doing ok and growing but I don't know if more heads will ever grow.

Should I break off dead braches of torch/frogspawn?

The pink finger leather is probably my fastest growing/healthiest coral. It's much bigger than before and the polyps extend really nicely.

Toadstool was doing well but I ripped away the rock that was holding it in place (was supposed to be temporary) and he receeded a bit. Hopefully it will imrpove again over the next week.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
You can go ahead and break off the dead branches if you can do so without damaging the coral. The heads should grow and then start to spit, good luck.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:50 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah I can't wait either....go get a new cam.....the heck with making us wait 2 weeks for you to get your cam back!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Also, keep in mind that ick can leave the fish's skin and live in the water column where it can come back to haunt you still. Keep an eye on it.

Bigger fish in 1 week???? 8O I think you just may have been really happy to see them.

The new tank - that's an awfully deep tank. And I see you like your reef. Could be expensive lighting needs. You sure you can't do a 6' tank instead of a 4'?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
Also, keep in mind that ick can leave the fish's skin and live in the water column where it can come back to haunt you still. Keep an eye on it.

Bigger fish in 1 week???? 8O I think you just may have been really happy to see them.

The new tank - that's an awfully deep tank. And I see you like your reef. Could be expensive lighting needs. You sure you can't do a 6' tank instead of a 4'?
Yep - I've had ich now for at least 4-5 weeks I think. It forms on the fish and drops off but all the fish still eat and swim around. The yellow tang doesn't ever seem to get it back and tha damsels seem unaffected.

The damsel grew a ton and ate all my pods... I can't believe how huge he is. The other two damsels are super small now... maybe it's just the ccontrast.

The new tank is already ordered... and since I already have a 48" fixture I'm sticking to it. I don't think the 30" deep will be a problem.

Tags
growth, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com