Ammonia...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronalam

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently setup a tank to put my clarkii pair and it is to be used as a spawning tank, I've added sand from my display and a few good size pieces of well matured live rock.

It obviously isn't handling the ammonia though - I'm around 1.0ppm now, maybe slightly more.

What do to now? Water change/Add more sand/Add more rock/Put clarkiis back in display?

Thanks for any advice!

You need to let your tank cycle. Let it run without fish for awhile. Add a few Hermit Crabs during cycling. Once your tank is cycled, you shouldn't even be able to measure detect ammonia.

I know I need to cycle it but I was thinking that the mature sand & mature live rock would have enough bacteria anyway.

I think I'll have to cycle though, this isn't working.

I know I need to cycle it but I was thinking that the mature sand & mature live rock would have enough bacteria anyway.

I think I'll have to cycle though, this isn't working.

those may speed up the start of the cycle but it still needs to go thru the process, the successful reefer must have patience and take no short cuts. Short cuts will only cost you $

Yeah if you're going to leave the fish in there, it's going to need a lot of water changes. I would try your best to keep it under .5.

I'm just going to remove the fish and put them back into the display for now, gotta do it right!

Appreciate all the replies.

Ammonia has dropped ALOT through the day, barely measurable now.

I guess the extra live rock I put in there last night held enough bacteria... Will probably move fish regardless.

Did it drop after removing them or are they still in there?
Keep a good eye on it :) There's no such thing as instant cycles but they can be really fast with a lot of live rock.

Back
Top Bottom