Ammonia in DT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 110 liter DT with powerhead and corner filter. I've had filled with no fish for a while now. It's bare bottom.

I want to have this tank always ready but it seems that ammonia levels are always in the 4 range. Should I add some LR? I plan to add meds to this tank if needed. I was thinking of removing the LR if I do add meds but keep it if I have to use it for new fish.

Would adding LR help with the ammonia?

Any ideas?

Regards

Wael

Where is the ammonia coming from?
A source of ammonia is necessary to feed the beneficial bacteria. If you want to maintain a QT tank you need to feed it to keep the bacteria alive.

If you are not adding a source of ammonia it doesn't make sense that you are seeing ammonia.

Who else has access to the tank?

That's a good point. I had several fish in there before and used Seachem ParaGuard in there for treatment. After treatment I made a PWC and added the carbon filter back in. It's been fishless for about 1 month. I added bacteria to keep the filters replenished a few times.

Perhaps I should start adding bacteria again fir 10 days as though it's a new tank. I thought adding the LR would help the filters establish the colonies and I'd keep the LR in there unless I use meds again.

Do you think that would work? I really dint want to add any sand because it would defeat the point of the QT.

Back
Top Bottom