Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2004, 01:20 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Thats interesting info. But I am nervous about letting the PH drop. There is no question that when the PH was lower, they were more lethargic.
Getting total ammonia down is my game plan. I have ran a qt several times before, just not with this bioload.
We'll see what happens, I may have to get another tank....my wife will shoot me.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
Heh, understood. You could always toss in some LR w/ algae on it. I believe algae eats up nitrates (if there is any right now) and that will eventually contributes to a higher pH. Something about the algae helping out with oxygen and CO2.

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

Lighting

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:22 AM   #13
steve-s

What luntiz says is quite true and a common practice used in fish transport from collectors. You do need to be absolutley careful of what you are doing though. Prolonged exposure to low pH will cause acidosis which will eventually lead to hemoraging in the fish and can cause death.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-21-2004, 12:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys. I added 10 lbs of rock last night as well as another seeded sponge. Did a water change this AM (spg is almost there 0.012) and the ammonia is still 1.0
What do you all think of that bio spyro (sp), does it work?
If I can't get this resolved soon, I may have to set up my 10 gallon and move several of them. I really don't want to do that, after the ich clears up, I was going to get another fish and start the qt process in the 10.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:07 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
What do you all think of that bio spyro (sp), does it work?
Never used it myself so I can't give you an opinion. Most (if not all) of these types of bio-starters aren't worth the packaging. That said though, there have been a few post concerning Marine Bio Spira that have had possitive results.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-21-2004, 10:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well got home tonight and the ammonia was 1.5
I did the water change and got the spg down to 0.010.
Getting desparate I added the Marine bio spyra. I really hope it helps. If not, I will have to get another tank set up. Its been like this for 3 days, although they look OK, I don't know how much of this ammonia they can take.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another Idea, what do you all think?
I have a 30 gallon garbage can that I use to mix SW. What if I get some kind of pump and use it for a makeshift sump to add water volume?
Any idea on pumps for this?
Old 07-22-2004, 01:28 AM   #18
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
Another Idea, what do you all think?
I have a 30 gallon garbage can that I use to mix SW. What if I get some kind of pump and use it for a makeshift sump to add water volume?
Any idea on pumps for this?
The idea's sound, the only problem will be you need an overflow as well as a return pump. If the mixing container can be elevated above the QT, then you can simpley make a hole in the side of the mixing container, plumb a bulkhead and let gravity do the work. Then all you need is the return pump or possibley a canister.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-22-2004, 01:35 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I have a skilter 400 filter on my tank. Since it has 2 chambers, I was thinking of a low flow pump to bring the water "down" to the sump and a slightly stronger pump to return?
I cannot place the sump higher.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:44 AM   #20
steve-s

That would be quite risky. If either one quite or became blocked, you'd have a very large mess. A gravity feed or overflow to the sump is about the only safe way to do it.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ammonia, qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com