ammonia in saltwater mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
So here is a little information.
I tested my tap water with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite
I tested my rodi water with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.
I mixed saltwater in a 32 gallon food safe container and let it mix for 24 hours. When I tested the water before doing a water change the water reads 1.5ppm of ammonia. What is going on?

So here is a little information. I tested my tap water with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite I tested my rodi water with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. I mixed saltwater in a 32 gallon food safe container and let it mix for 24 hours. When I tested the water before doing a water change the water reads 1.5ppm of ammonia. What is going on?

Try the same experiment using RO/DI water. The ammonia came from somewhere, I doubt the salt mix. May have been a reaction with the tap water. What kind of salt?

I tested the ro water and it tested negative. I am using instant ocean salt. Tested water with nutrafin test and api test. Both read 1.5 ppm of ammonia.

I tested the ro water and it tested negative. I am using instant ocean salt. Tested water with nutrafin test and api test. Both read 1.5 ppm of ammonia.

I have not heard of Instant ocean releasing ammonia into the water. Maybe others can chime in. If so, I would certainly not use that salt mix if that's the case.

I have not heard of Instant ocean releasing ammonia into the water. Maybe others can chime in. If so, I would certainly not use that salt mix if that's the case.

I've been trying to cycle this tank for about a month now and can't get it cycled. Could this be why? I've had ammonia in my tank for the whole month.

Did you use anything with chemicals to clean container?

What RODI unit are you useing? Could it be that you havent changed out the membrane in a while? Or the other filters?

What RODI unit are you useing? Could it be that you havent changed out the membrane in a while? Or the other filters?

Spectrapure 90gpd unit. The unit is has only been used a few times. And again, ro water is testing 0ppm

Get a small bag of another salt brand and see if we can narrow it down.

Just get a small amount for a test case. It is possible the ammonia is coming from the salt, but seems unlikely. But your observations leave little doubt there is something screwy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom