Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2004, 12:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Steve
Thanks for doing so much research. I was doing the same thing as yourself. I gave it a chance after taking your advice and called Seachem. First of all they are sending me another color chart that has numbers that I can read....the one that I have now is messed up for some reason after describing it to the rep on the phone today.
But he did tell me what I can do as far as the numbers are concerned until I get the new strip...come to find out Im over the safe and OK zone according to the color chart. So Im not going to put any more in until the level comes down which I assume it will over the next few days. I may even do a water change. I think the level is around .8-.9...ouch!! The fish are doing fine....acting the same as usual. Would you suggest anything different?
Also I did ask him about the test kits you mentioned in the email and he said they will most definately give a false positive. SO I went and bought 2 Seachem Ammonia Alerts....I have a call into them on this as well as I think the ones I bought are defective as well!! Im not having to good of luck with their products...BUT I will say they are very good and patient with me. I do understand why I was confused on the test kit before though...The rep really helped. Thanks for the help and if you will let me know what you think about the above question....water change vs letting the copper fade on its on....
THANKS!

Old 07-10-2004, 01:55 PM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
I think the level is around .8-.9...ouch!! The fish are doing fine....acting the same as usual. Would you suggest anything different?
Unless your 0.8-0.9 is just a guess(?), I would suggest about a 30-40% water change with unmediacted water if you went beyond the recommended dose. 1 ml/10.5 gal (2 drops/gal) and then repeat the same 48 hrs later. That should get you at least close to the 0.5 mg/l suggested. In a 20 gal QT you should have dosed 2 ml the first day and then 2 ml again 48 hrs later.

You can easily add more Cupramine once you get the test kit but that would also mean you start from square one. Also remember that when/if doing water changes once you get the test kit, be sure the new water is tested before use to ensure you maintain the strength of 0.5 mg/l.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-12-2004, 01:49 PM   #13
steve-s

Turns out the Fastest kit should be okay with measuring the Cupramine levels. Here is Seachem's response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachem
That type of kit should be able to read our Cupramine. The target for Cupramine is around .5 mg/l. However as long as you have a minimum of .2 mg/l it is effective and do not exceed .8 mg/l.
Cheers
Steve
Old 07-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Thanks for the info Steve. I didnt see your post prev to this so heres an update. I didnt medicate the tank for a day and the level is down around .5-.6 now. Im trying to keep it there. Still dont like the Seachem color scheme but oh well...I looked at the color chart again the other night and I think I said wrong...I think the level was around .7-.8 and not .8-.9...they are doing fine to this point.
just for kicks I will test the Cupramine with the Fas Test kit and see if I get the same reading....their color scheme on the test indicator is a little better. Its in brown's..
Will keep you posted and thanks for the info..

Tags
ammonia, qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com