Ammonia level in Quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
How high can you let the ammonia level get in a quarantine tank between water changes? Obviously I realize 0 would be optimal, but that does not seem possible with no biological filtration.
thanks
travis

but that does not seem possible with no biological filtration.

IMO, the only time you may be without biological filtration in your Q-tank is if you are medicating and the meds crash your filter. If you have a small HOB filter like a biowheel, or a sponge filter they can be run on the main tank when the Q-tank is not set up and you only need move it over when you set up the q-tank. If you are doing a completely filterless q-tank, you need to be doing daily 50% water changes and that may not keep up with it for long.

Reef,
Thanks for the reply. The QT is running at small HOB filter. However, it is just not enough to keep up with the ammonia. The HOB was run on the Main system just like you said. It helps for sure but I am still picking up some ammonia. I just want to know at what point ammonia becomes a problem so I can do things accordingly. Thanks

I would say if your having ammonia build up to any measurable level (I am assuming the kit is reliable and can read 0 ammonia). it is time for a water change. If it is low levels that don't get above a certain point I would be doing water changes every couple or three days and using a product like amquel + (detoxifies ammonia and nitrite) on interim days. You will need a salycillate test kit to measure ammonia if using amquel.

Back
Top Bottom