Ammonia spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, it's time for me to remove the large mantis from my tank. For some reason my tank is having an ammonia spike and the only thing I can think of to be the cause would be the mantis dragging food into his hole and not eating it all. I've been feeding it chunks of thawed shrimp twice a week. I don't want to kill him so I'm gonna do a hypo dip. The problem I have is that my anemone is on the same rock. How will the hypo dip affect him? Or, what's the best method of getting the anemone to move? Or how can I manually move him without injury? Any advice is appreciated. TIA

Dont dip the rock with the anenome one it. If you are not sensitive to the anenomes sting then you can gently masage/tickle the food and it will release. From there you can place it where you need to till your done. Try to place the anenome back where you found it so as to minimize the risk of it walking all over the tank.

Of course you could always just stop feeding the mantis.

Yeah, I could stop feeding him but he needs to come out anyway. So far I figure I've been lucky because he's only picked on snails and has left my cleaner shrimp alone. I guess they've lived this long with him I shouldn't worry. I'll try the tickle and hope it releases it's hold. Thanks fishfreek!

I am looking at possibly doing a hypo dip as well, to get a mantis out of my tank.
I recently bought some more LR, and I got one of the two mantis out of the tank.
The second one I have never seen, but I can hear it.
I don't even know what it is eating, as I can't find anything missing.
What are the risks to other LR inverts? ie: barnacles, sponges, little clams, etc
The LR is covered in neat life, and I would hate to kill it all beause of this darned mantis.

The second one I have never seen, but I can hear it.
what do they sound like? is it a popping or snaping sound?
I heard a sound like that once didnt know what it was but I havnt heard it since

Its a loud tapping sound. You could call it a snap as well.
Kinda like someone tapping a coin edge on a glass wall.

Well, I got home tonight to find my hermit crab (a cool hawaiian hermit!) shell empty.
I assume he is gone and the mantis has a full belly.
Grrrrr.

Someone please let me know if I am taking a big risk with the salty dip. I want that mantis out, asap.

Back
Top Bottom