Ammonia spike!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tate

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I walked into the basement to find my kole tang on the powerhead lifeless. I did some tests and found that I had 2 ppm of ammonia. I do 10% weekly water changes feed once every other day and have two clowns and strawberry basselet. Its a 90 gallon tank. What couldve caused the spike? The tank is cycled. Could the nori I put in the tank caused this spike?

How long has the system been up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you added any live rock recently?

No only one piece when I first started out

I just retested and the ammonia came to 0-.25 so It may have been a faulty test. I think the ammonia was from the fish decay

How were the other parameters?

Im thinking the same thing. Keep an eye on the other fish and test every other day or so.

Someone more knowledgeable may chime in.

66 pounds total of lr. No nitrite reading as of yet

Without enough info it would be just anybody's guess. How big and how long ago did you have the cole tang before it perished? How many days was your last pwc before you found it dead? Did you vacuum your substrate? Anything that might have stress him out?

Kole tang was always skiddish and when I walked to the tank he always dashed to the back of the tank. I had it for a month only. Last water change was Monday. He was eating nori fine but it was the only thing he really ate and not much of it. A few flakes Here and there were eaten. He grazed constantly.

how did he look? Was he skinny? I wonder if the nori wasn't enough. Mine eats everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom