Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tremor1002
Amonia 0,...But Nitrate and Nitrite High

Hi, I have a 90 gallon tank with 100 lbs of live Fiji Rock and two Yellow Tail Damsel. I started this new tank on 4/10/05 with 3 dead shrimp from my local fish store. Then I added 100 Lbs of live Fiji Rock to the tank on 4/14/05. My ammonia level finally reached 0 on 4/23/05. So I decided to take the three boring, decaying shrimp and add two yellow Tail Damsels due to the ammonia read 0. Tested the levels today 4/24/05 and the ammonia still reads 0, Nitrite 1.6 and Nitrate 110. I do have a UV but i don't have it running yet,... do to the high levels. Everything else reads fine Salinity, PH etc. I know it takes a while for those levels to go down, but does anyone have any suggestions? Am I good for now or was I too impatient?

Also can someone tell me what things or chemicals if any should I stock in my house so if anything where to happen I be ahead of the game,.. You know salt, etc...???

Old 04-24-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your cycle isn't over yet I don't think. Ammonia is converted to nitrites and then to complete the cycle into nitrates. Once you are only dealing with nitrates you can do some water changes and a little waiting to get those down to normal. I think you were a little impatient but hey aren't we all. I would say do a 25% water change and test and see what you get. You can continue with changes untill you get it down some more.HTH

Old 04-24-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should have 0 on the ammonia and the nitrite before the cycle is over.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tremor1002
What things or chemicals if any should I stock in my house so if anything where to happen I be ahead of the game,.. You know salt, etc...???

Tags
amonia, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com