Amonia 0,...But Nitrate and Nitrite High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tremor1002

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 90 gallon tank with 100 lbs of live Fiji Rock and two Yellow Tail Damsel. I started this new tank on 4/10/05 with 3 dead shrimp from my local fish store. Then I added 100 Lbs of live Fiji Rock to the tank on 4/14/05. My ammonia level finally reached 0 on 4/23/05. So I decided to take the three boring, decaying shrimp and add two yellow Tail Damsels due to the ammonia read 0. Tested the levels today 4/24/05 and the ammonia still reads 0, Nitrite 1.6 and Nitrate 110. I do have a UV but i don't have it running yet,... do to the high levels. Everything else reads fine Salinity, PH etc. I know it takes a while for those levels to go down, but does anyone have any suggestions? Am I good for now or was I too impatient?

Also can someone tell me what things or chemicals if any should I stock in my house so if anything where to happen I be ahead of the game,.. You know salt, etc...???

Your cycle isn't over yet I don't think. Ammonia is converted to nitrites and then to complete the cycle into nitrates. Once you are only dealing with nitrates you can do some water changes and a little waiting to get those down to normal. I think you were a little impatient but hey aren't we all. I would say do a 25% water change and test and see what you get. You can continue with changes untill you get it down some more.HTH

What things or chemicals if any should I stock in my house so if anything where to happen I be ahead of the game,.. You know salt, etc...???

Back
Top Bottom