Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

You say your tank was running a month, that does not mean it was cycled a .25 amm level is hardly a cycle. If you did not add anything to get the cycle going then IMO you never had a cycle. Most add cocktail shrimp to get a cycle going, some use damsels. And from what your saying now with the amm levels going up it is proof that you never had a true cycle.
You say "Nor did I add fish"??????? you posted you added 3 fish right? Thats when you had the amm start to raise?
you have 3 fish in a new tank added all at the same time right? This is the reason for the spike not your soap.. The LFS is just trying to cover his bad advice..
keep us posted on the bio spira...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did add fish. What I meant by that statement was that I did not add fish after the initial addition and swap out. I think the bio wheel thing just did not work well. However, it did drop the amonia levels in 7 days they went back to 0. BTW I did have a cycle at least going, I thought. I used the die off from the LR that had stagnated when the previous owner let it sit there for about a week. The amonia climbed to just above .5 at the highest. I likely did not get enough of a cycle going. Darnet.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
IMHO skimmers provide little water circulation. The emperor probably does provide more than 100 gph, but I wouldn't believe that it provided 400 gph of circulation when the filters get clogged even a little (and the 400gph may be the rating without the filter pads), emperors are good filters by the way. If you bought at least another MJ you would have a good amount of circulation in your tank that would provide good turbulence later. But it's not something you have to run out and buy later on... but it would help in the long run.

I think the LFS is mistaken regarding external chemicals added to the tank. I really believe that your cycle, while completed wasn't sufficient enough for the bioload that was for the fish. Typically a tank takes about a month (for your size of tank) to cycle with the number of your fish. I used to cycle tanks (55 gallon) with about 5-6 damsels and it took about a month. The biro spira may help, but imo you could hold off on buying it and ride it out...
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks again MJ. I have posted this same scenario on another forum and got the same reply: That the LFS is off about the introduction of an antibacterial agent. I agree that the cycle did not complete. Ugh.. Sorry fishes. However, I allready added the Bio Spira. I was freaked out by the amonia and added it yesterday. Thus far it seems to have at least leveled off at .25 or jsut below that.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:13 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much are you feeding the fish? If I were you I'd drop feedings down to once every 3 days until after the ammo spike clears (maybe 4) and feed lightly when you do feed. The ammo dropped because of the biowheel that helped the tank cycle but the fish continued to outproduce it's capacity to process and the ammo started to rise. If you drop down your feedings the tank should catch up eventually. Keep the ammo in check with water changes.

Good luck!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I suppose then that I feed too much. Darnet again. I will cut back to once every 3 days. So, the little clowns will be ok right? The damsel seems to pick stuff off the rocks, but the clowns don't do that. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:12 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

A lot of people feed them every other day. Every third day while you're controlling ammo is plenty. Just don't up the amount to make up for the fact that you're feeding less frequently The clown will be fine!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

WOHOO!! The lighter feeding schedule has brought the AMonia back down to near 0. Thanks everyone for the info. Now, I suppose I need to wait a while before changing anything. What about skimming. THe bio spira said not to skim for 48 hours. Should be ok now though. Any thoughts?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, skim away...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I started skimming today. (I love this new AquaC Remora) BTW I took some water to the same LFS today. Had them test it and I picked up some fresh and sw. The readings came out as: Amonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0. and SG was 1.026. All inline with my test kit other than SG. My Coralife hydrometer tests at 1.022. They were using a swing arm hydrometer as well. I think I may take some water to another LFS just to be sure before I add either SW or FW. At this point, I am impressed with the Bio SPira. It seems to have helped rid my tank of the amonia. Now I just need a refractometer. Thanks again.

Tags
amonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com