Amonia levels stuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bray

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have cycled my 55 gallon tank for 2 months and then after added 2 fish per week on the 3rd month and 15 janitors.and my ph/ nitrite/ nitrate are all perfect levels but my amonia has been 2.5-5.0 ever since day one! I have done 10-15% water changes, cleaned the tank, ammo block, you name it and my amonia will not budge! Also I have had a plague of brown diatoms that just seems to be getting worse.

---Running---
protien skimmer
70 gallon filter
50 lbs live rock
2 1300 powerheads
2 heaters

4 green chromis
2 clowns
1 yellow angel
10 crabs
5 snails
1 sea slug

First I don't think your ammonia is 2.5-5%. Perhaps .25-.5%? If your using an API test kit get it checked at your LFS. Those kits are notorious for giving false ammonia results.

Yeah I actually meant .25 and .50 I am using the API master saltwater test.

Get it checked then. Personally I'd stop using the ammonia block. It does make ammonia non toxic but it may also reduce the ability of the bacteria to consume the ammonia. That would result in a detectable non-toxic ammonia in your tank. Perhaps slowly reduce the ammo unit of blocker your using until you get back to 0 while allowing the bacteria to ramp up their consumption.

2 fish a week is a bit much on a new tank, 1 fish every 2-3 weeks would be a better choice. With you quick stocking, your biological system never had a chance to recover. No more fish and water changes, give it a month.

Back
Top Bottom