Amquel+ Smells? Eliminating ammonia from tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I normally used Tap Water Conditioner from AP, but I've got some high ammonia in my tap water lately (1.0). The Tap Water Conditioner doesn't knock it out, so I tried Amquel+, which is supposed to eliminate "all forms of ammonia", nitrite, chlorine, etc., for conditioning tap water.

It smells just like stagnant water. About an hour after I treated a 18 gallon bucket of tap water the bucket smelled bad too. I'm aerating the water with a big airstone.

Is the smell from Amquel+ normal?

(Update) About 12 hours after the treatment was added, the small has gone mostly, but ammonia is still reading high, but down from 1.0 to 0.5.

Could be my test kit isn't compatible with the treatment (it lists certain ones its not compatible with), but I'm still hesitant to use water reading that high into a healthy system.

An expensive RO filter isn't in my budget. Any other tricks ppl use to prep tap water?

Wow...that is a high amount of ammonia in tap water. The Kordon website says "Amquel+ has an acerbic odor, but does not affect aquatic life, and the odor quickly disappears in use."

Kordon Product Data Sheet for Amquel+ http://www.novalek.com/kpds.htm From this link, you'll have to look over to the column on the left and select Amquel+.

Try Prime from Seachem if you have ammonia in your tap water. http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Prime.html

I have just started to use Prime. It does have a sulfur smell too, but it's not bad, as long as you don't stick your nose in the bottle! The smell doesn't linger in the water. I'm very sensitive to smells and I hesitated to try Prime because everyone said it had an odor, but it isn't that bad and the smell does not stay in the water. Be sure to click on the Prime FAQ also, from the Prime link. It does state that there are certain types of tests that it isn't compatible with. I have a Seachem ammonia test so I know it's compatible with Prime, but any salicylic test should be ok.

Don't yell!!

Use a Salicylate based test kit for the ammonia. It should read past the Amquel additive. Do not trust a FW or FW/SW type ammonia test kit. It must be specifically for SW only.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom