Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

An interesting new twist to the Koralias...

Just stumbled across this when I was ordering some stuff...

Water Pumps & Powerheads: Hydor Koralia Controllable Pumps & Wavemakers

... and thought I'd pass it along.

Looks like you need the "controllable" Koralia though, and it won't work with the existing Koralias that are already out there. I don't know that for sure, but that's what it sounds like.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It was just a week or so ago how we were discussing the Hydor koralia's to not be good for a wave maker. The manufacturer must have picked up on that issue. sounds like it could be a good thing, but I think Ill let someone else try it first so that I am not the guinea pig and if the feedback is good give it a try later on.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
I contacted the manufacturer last week about my Koralia Nano. I have it hooked up to a timer to kick on for 2-5min at a time multiple times a day. It stopped working, I have to tap the propeller to get it running. After speaking with them it basically came to the point that the pump (or any other one of their pumps) is not designed for that use. They did offer to replace it with a newer model. Seems they made some sort of change to a washer in the unit and it might resolve my issue. The rep told me they were about to release an new line of pumps for wavemaking and they would only work with their controller.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Trying to compete with Tunze. Much lower cost, but still expensive.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a 4 early on and found out that they have a nozzle attachment to moke the flow more directed. I like the modded maxijets for this reason. I contacted koralia and they sent me one for free. I then added a big dumas prop with a maxijet magnet the pump keeps up with my modded maxijets now. Feels like 2x or more than what it put out originally.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I recently upgraded my maxi-jet 1200's with the "sure flow" mod, which essencially turns your maxi-jets into a simliar device as the Koralias, technology speaking. They also suggest that you do not use them on a wave maker or timer. After using three on Red Sea Wave timer, I know why...when they kick on they make an insanely loud "gulping" sound. I have found it is best to keep them running all the time.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The noise is when the prop pushes out instead of being pulled in. The prop hits the front of the housing and makes a racket. Some of the ones made have a piece in front that forces the prop back down when this happens.

I would not use one on a wave timer but I have one that I shut down at night and start back up when the lights come on.

A modded MJ1200 will outflow a K4 IMO. Mine all do. Put the big MJ prop in the K4 though and it evens things out
Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use a pair of Koralias on a wavemaker and have for about 6 months. There is some occasional startup chatter, other than that, the 'wavemaker' system cost me 2 K4's and a power strip/wavemaker ($31 or so at the LFS). Done.

GL!

Tags
sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com