Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-06-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Anchoring a Feather duster?

I just got 3 Hawaiian feather dusters. I can't seem to get them placed just right. It seems that wherever I put them, the changing water flow moves them a bit so they are pointing down or the opening is against a rock, etc.

Is there a safe way to anchor them?
Can I wedge one between two small rocks?
Should I just leave them alone?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
i wedge them under a small rock carfullly of course !! they will attach them selfs in time

good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
you can do that, or bury them in the sand bed in the vicinity of a rock. thats what i have done. they will eventually attach, dont worry.
nodoubt471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I found mine would keep falling into a rock, but then when I tried to move it, it was already attached, (just a couple of days in the tank). It has twisted itself around now to have a free opening and looks great. Just bury them in the sand near a rock and they will attach or put them in the live rock and they will attach...

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:00 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Either under a rock or between rocks higher up. I've got 5 of'm in my 75g. Left, right, high, and low. Different colors. Couple of hitchhikers and one that I thought was dead months ago showed up in a new rock. I love those things.

Seems as if they don't like where they are, they'll blow their top and move to a new spot.

When pushing them under the sand or wedging between rock, I think you might have to be just a little careful not to squeeze the worm inside too hard. You should be able to feel the "mass" inside the tube when handling it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:48 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks all. I'll try those suggestions tonight.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

anchor, eat, feather duster

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com