And the saga continues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone that reads my posts can tell you, I have a mysterious slasher. I first noticed my yellow tang taking out my polyps. Now just to eliminate any worries or concerns, my fish are fat and get fed probablly too much. Anyway, i got rid of the Tang. Then my mushrooms started not coming out and extending fully....then they started getting slashed. My xenia got cut up once too, but recovered very very quickly, infact one of the polyps that got cut off has attached itself on the other side of my tank and seems to be growing another colony. I witnessed my emerald crab clawing them and one of my mushrooms later and took them out too. Thought that was that. Next my Bubble coral got slashed, you can really see the gash...it is still recovering. Thought maybe it was an accident with the peps maybe. But then the slasher came back again, slashed the mushrooms (that had already completely healed themselves) and took out one of my wood's polyps. A few of the mushrooms are completely gone. No mysterouis clicking sound either. I observe at night when possible and have so far noticed nothing...but I have to admitt, with college and a 2 year old tom boy who doesn't crash until almost midnight, I have few opportunities to sit and watch. I do most my observing and maintenance in the morning before my little one is awake (my favorite part of my day :wink: ). I can not think what to do next. Can anyone give me any ideas....I having a hard time watching my poor corals getting torn apart.

TIA

Mary

What about hermit crabs? I have a nice assortment of them from different places. All are sopposed to be reef safe, but one could have been wrongly indentified? What are the bad ones?

Just throwing this out... Try setting up a trap and see what you catch overnight. Might be some other nocturnal hitchhiker in there...

Well, it slashed off one of my neon green palythoas...didn't eat it mind you...it seems perfectly heathly (I will glue it elsewhere tonight). Also my blue mushroom seems to have a little more missing. This guy is getting active! My husband calls it the hash slinging slasher (from sponge bob). He is picking up a trap tomorrow and I will see what I catch. This is so crazy! Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom