Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
and you wonder why people some people overstock

was looking at fish stores online and came across this fishstore that has a large assortment of tang fish but all of them pretty much say the minimum tank size 55 gallon tank hehe

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/tangs/

Old 03-27-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

OMG, take a closer look. Many of them are listed as 20g min tank size(YT, Purple tang sailfin tang were the ones I looked at). Wow that means with a 90g I should be able to have a school of sailfins.

Maybe for stocking in an LFS showroom. That is why I always take what I read on any internet site with a grain of salt. Remeber their goal is to sell fish. What a shame.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

a sohal and a naso only need a 55? 8O Who knew?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is utterly ridiculas! I would not buy anything from this company, who is evidently just in it for the money and don't care for the fish or the customer.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, the Blue Hippo Tang requires branching corals in a 20G tank. Wow, not only will a newb end up putting the BHT to its own coffin, the d a r n website implies to newbs to buy SPS. That's really great. Might as well throw an octopus in there while they're at it.

What a shame. This website haven't seen 8 inch BHT's before. That's amazing.

But wait, Chevron Tang? Never seen one in my life. Very interesting coloration.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Chevron tangs are actually a Hawaiian bristle tooth tang,Ctenonchaetus hawaiiensis . They only have those colors as juveniles, as adults, they're a pretty dull striated brown. They feed primarily off of diatoms and filamentous algae, by scrubbing the rock with their teeth. They are very aggressive to other tangs and anything with similar habits. They reach around 9.5 inches, and require a bare minimum of 90 gallons. Wow, what a crappy website. These sizes have to be size at aquisition... this is wild.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMANIQU77
Wow, the Blue Hippo Tang requires branching corals in a 20G tank. Wow, not only will a newb end up putting the BHT to its own coffin, the d a r n website implies to newbs to buy SPS. That's really great. Might as well throw an octopus in there while they're at it.

What a shame. This website haven't seen 8 inch BHT's before. That's amazing.

But wait, Chevron Tang? Never seen one in my life. Very interesting coloration.
LOL....why not through in a great white to top it all off too eh? LOL...what a horribly misleading website.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, I looked up triggers and they say Titan Triggerfish 20g, Sargassum 40g yet they say 150g for the crosshatch trigger........ go figure

Kaye
Old 03-28-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzecawi
Chevron tangs are actually a Hawaiian bristle tooth tang,Ctenonchaetus hawaiiensis . They only have those colors as juveniles, as adults, they're a pretty dull striated brown.
That’s depressing Besides the Purple tang it’s really one of my favorite tangs and what I had planned on getting when I upgraded to a 120 gal RR tank later on this summer. Does feeding vitamin enriched frozen/nori help keep their colors any better? I plan on returning my YT when I upgrade to get a different tang. Out of curiosity can a Chevron tang be housed with a purple tang in a 120 gal with little aggression issues or is there another tang that would work well with either? I was thinking of getting them in the 3” range and my lfs stocks them most of the time for around $60-$90 depending on size.

Edit: Is this an accurate photo of an adult? If so I think I will still have to consider it.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, that isn't adult. That's sub-adult, in process of fading to adult colors. As a useful fish, bristle tooth tangs, which include Tomini tangs, kole tangs, and the so called chevron tangs, are VERY valuable. There are very few tangs who eat cyano as well as filamentous and fleshy algaes. And their scrubbing action is great to watch. However, the chevron tangs are the most dull of them all. Their coloring isn't far off of scopas tangs, although they're brown with sorta different brown horizontal stripes. They don't hold their coloring because of food, they lose it naturally no matter what because that's just how they mature. Of course, you can enhance the quality of brown, by giving them red algaes such as red gracilaria. The best food by far for the bristle tooth tangs is fresh, live algae. They don't do as well with dried nori as other tangs. Chevrons are more aggressive than kole tangs, but they might be able to share with a purple. I'd think you'd be better off with a orange shouldered tang though, who are very friendly as far as tangs go, and wouldn't be much competition for the same type of algae. If you introduced both purple and chevron at the same time though, you should be able to pull it off. Depends also on how you rockscape your 120. If it's the 60" model, I would make sure to include a lot of swim through areas sized for the tangs, so they can dodge eachother. I wouldn't add any other tangs though. And by no means should you mix a chevron with a tomini or a kole tang. Also don't add any coral beauty angels, their body type is close enough to that of the bristle tooths to cause problems.

Tags
overstock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com