and you wonder why people some people overstock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OMG, take a closer look. Many of them are listed as 20g min tank size(YT, Purple tang sailfin tang were the ones I looked at). Wow that means with a 90g I should be able to have a school of sailfins.

Maybe for stocking in an LFS showroom. That is why I always take what I read on any internet site with a grain of salt. Remeber their goal is to sell fish. What a shame. :(

That is utterly ridiculas! I would not buy anything from this company, who is evidently just in it for the money and don't care for the fish or the customer. :(

Wow, the Blue Hippo Tang requires branching corals in a 20G tank. Wow, not only will a newb end up putting the BHT to its own coffin, the d a r n website implies to newbs to buy SPS. That's really great. Might as well throw an octopus in there while they're at it.

What a shame. This website haven't seen 8 inch BHT's before. That's amazing.

But wait, Chevron Tang? Never seen one in my life. Very interesting coloration.

Chevron tangs are actually a Hawaiian bristle tooth tang,Ctenonchaetus hawaiiensis . They only have those colors as juveniles, as adults, they're a pretty dull striated brown. They feed primarily off of diatoms and filamentous algae, by scrubbing the rock with their teeth. They are very aggressive to other tangs and anything with similar habits. They reach around 9.5 inches, and require a bare minimum of 90 gallons. Wow, what a crappy website. These sizes have to be size at aquisition... this is wild.

AMANIQU77 said:
Wow, the Blue Hippo Tang requires branching corals in a 20G tank. Wow, not only will a newb end up putting the BHT to its own coffin, the d a r n website implies to newbs to buy SPS. That's really great. Might as well throw an octopus in there while they're at it.

What a shame. This website haven't seen 8 inch BHT's before. That's amazing.

But wait, Chevron Tang? Never seen one in my life. Very interesting coloration.

LOL....why not through in a great white to top it all off too eh? LOL...what a horribly misleading website.

Wow, I looked up triggers and they say Titan Triggerfish 20g, Sargassum 40g yet they say 150g for the crosshatch trigger........ go figure

Kaye

zuzecawi said:
Chevron tangs are actually a Hawaiian bristle tooth tang,Ctenonchaetus hawaiiensis . They only have those colors as juveniles, as adults, they're a pretty dull striated brown.
That’s depressing :( Besides the Purple tang it’s really one of my favorite tangs and what I had planned on getting when I upgraded to a 120 gal RR tank later on this summer. Does feeding vitamin enriched frozen/nori help keep their colors any better? I plan on returning my YT when I upgrade to get a different tang. Out of curiosity can a Chevron tang be housed with a purple tang in a 120 gal with little aggression issues or is there another tang that would work well with either? I was thinking of getting them in the 3” range and my lfs stocks them most of the time for around $60-$90 depending on size.

Edit: Is this an accurate photo of an adult? If so I think I will still have to consider it.
chevront3xh.jpg

No, that isn't adult. That's sub-adult, in process of fading to adult colors. As a useful fish, bristle tooth tangs, which include Tomini tangs, kole tangs, and the so called chevron tangs, are VERY valuable. There are very few tangs who eat cyano as well as filamentous and fleshy algaes. And their scrubbing action is great to watch. However, the chevron tangs are the most dull of them all. Their coloring isn't far off of scopas tangs, although they're brown with sorta different brown horizontal stripes. They don't hold their coloring because of food, they lose it naturally no matter what because that's just how they mature. Of course, you can enhance the quality of brown, by giving them red algaes such as red gracilaria. The best food by far for the bristle tooth tangs is fresh, live algae. They don't do as well with dried nori as other tangs. Chevrons are more aggressive than kole tangs, but they might be able to share with a purple. I'd think you'd be better off with a orange shouldered tang though, who are very friendly as far as tangs go, and wouldn't be much competition for the same type of algae. If you introduced both purple and chevron at the same time though, you should be able to pull it off. Depends also on how you rockscape your 120. If it's the 60" model, I would make sure to include a lot of swim through areas sized for the tangs, so they can dodge eachother. I wouldn't add any other tangs though. And by no means should you mix a chevron with a tomini or a kole tang. Also don't add any coral beauty angels, their body type is close enough to that of the bristle tooths to cause problems.

Thanks for the advise :D I think I'll just spend the extra $500+ and get the 72" 180 gal RR tank. I think I'd be pushing it with 60" and too large tangs. The Orangeshoulder Tang is quite nice.

Last question, with a 180 would a 3" Orangeshoulder Tang & 3" Purple tang be compatible with my 5" Yellow tang if added at the same time? I had planned to return it or give it to a friend but I would miss him.

TIA

The yellow and the purple are almost identical in body shape. That's generally a no-go with surgeonfish. However, it's a fish by fish kinda thing, there's exceptions to every rule. Personally I'm a little leery of testing for the exception though. It's a real PITA to get a fish out of the tank when another fish is trying to attack it and you and everything's darting around in the rocks. Orange shoulders are very peaceful, and you could even have a pair in the same 180 gallon tank. They are naturally one of the only habitually schooling tangs. I would go with the purple, the orange, and a kole tang, myself. That way you have a diatom scrubber, a hair algae muncher, a red algae muncher, and a green algae muncher. They are all dissimilar in looks, and as the kole tang only reaches around 5-7", you shouldn't be stressing your bioload or swimming space too much. Remember, tangs are high oxygen level dependant, and if you have a power outage, you need to be sure they won't suffocate. Three big tangs in even a 180, IMO, is pushing it. Much better to have two big and one little. And the koles are really mellow, shy, and very handy. They are in truth one of my favorites. Think, with a 180, you could have the above trio of tangs, all very different in looks and as wide a spectrum of feeders as you can get in the same band of specimens, and then you'd still be able to have a nice selection of smaller scavengers, like a small school of chromis, or clown gobies, a few pairs of dart fish, maybe even some jawfish if you have the proper substrate. You could go with a indo-pacific themed tank, with your tangs being the big visible active fish, and your smaller shyer species being the seldom glimpsed and much coveted attention getters. Although, if you plan on having dragonets or sand gobies in the future, be sure not to stock any competitors. The ideal set up, for a true reeflike biotope, would be to have a few small slow sand sifters, some active mid level eaters to catch the food in your water column, (chromis, anthias, fairy wrasses, any small fish that won't pick on your rocks,) and then your big herbivores. Or you could get even more micro about it, make it species specific. But if you want multiple kinds of tangs, you've pretty well cut out that species specific part.

zuzecawi thats an excellent idea that may be how i setup my 180g

I was at the fish store today near work, and the guy told me a 40 gallon tank would be good for a yellow tang. :eek: Pretty insane...
...yet he was educated on the Mandarins. He said have at least 60lbs live rock, 55 gallon tank, and have it at least 6 months up and running.

Thanks for all of the advice zuzecawi :) I have a gas generator for power outages since the last hurricane put us out of power for 5 weeks. I thought the YT was a no-go so I’ll still return or give away.

The 3 you mention sound great and what I’ll plan for stock. I feed my current tang fresh nori purchased from a Korean store just a couple of blocks from me. I tried at first with the dry seaweed but he wouldn’t touch it except once a week or so.

This is truly sad for the marine hobby. 20g for a BHT? GIve me a break! Obviously, they are targeting people that can't afford large tanks so they can make a quick sale. Someone should report them...to who though?

Mike

Thanks Brian, now I just need to convince the wife that I need to drop 20K on a 525 gal tank :p
I have saved $6K for the 180 which I'm hoping is enough to start.

Come on you guys! Being a little hard on this web site aren't we? I had a whole school of hippo tangs in my 20 gallon and they were doing great. Unfortunately my shark ate them all.

Hehe, on the off chance that anyone might believe this post, I am just joking :)

Remember sites are tryign to sell you stuff. They need to sell stuff in order to make money. SO take what they say with a grain of salt.

Back
Top Bottom