Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a Bubble Anemone 2 days ago, and it has acclimated well. I do not have a light functioning correctly , thinking the second ballast is gone so i turn the actinic and day light bulbs on for about 9 hours each day and then shut the tank lights off and its dark at night until the next day around 3:30 when we turn them on for the night. I noticed that the anemone closes completely when i turn the lights off. Just curious if this is good for the anemone or other inverts. Do i have to leave a light on in the future at all times? Should there be current all night or at all times, ? I also turn the powerheads off at night and turn them on in the day. Just wondering if there were any issues with the operation of my tank
Thanks

What type of fixture do you have? How many gallons is your tank? What is the total wattage of the lights that you have on now with the other unit shut off?

I have a T5 HO Bulb System and have 1 day and 1 actinic currently running each bulb is 54 Watts. I have a 55 Gallon tank

That's no where near enough light for that anemone. You need to double your amount of lighting.

What will happen to the anemone if it doesnt get the proper lighting it needs? Should until i get a new HOOD that all circuits work in, put the other BRIGHT in to give more light and sacrifice the Actinic for a little while?

Anemone will die if they don't have the proper lighting and a well established tank.

It doesn't matter if both bulbs are the daylight - it's still not much light.

Regarding your question about flow and current... you should leave the powerheads on 24/7. Only time I turn mine off is when I feed. That way, food doesn't get blown all around the tank and it's easier for the fish to eat all of it. Some folks put some of their powerheads on timers and make "calmer" waters at night. But they still have some of them on to give flow.

So i need a higher watt bulb then to solve the lighting issue? What about 2 54W day and 2 54W Actinic for a total of 216W. Would that be acceptable for just 1 Bubble Anemone?

Back
Top Bottom