anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meagan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just added about a 1.5 gallons of water... Should I be worried...

ForumRunner_20120930_183615.jpg

ForumRunner_20120930_183704.jpg

The first one is after the water addition the second is before

Water parameters are all good. did a test recently

T5HO 2 day 2 moon 43 watts a peice 10K spectrum

You added water..Is you salinty too high or low? Did you add salt water or fresh? The anemone is also bleached out, it should be brown. What size tank?

I thought the condy anemones are white with purple tips? Am I wrong and I bought another bleached anemone?

I've always seen condy anemones white like this one.

They shouldnt be white it should be tan to brown yours is almost see through that means that they have expelled their zooanthe algae probably in shipping, it will come back with the right lighting and parameters what size tank, and what is your salinity?

I will. They aren't supposed to be white. Lol. White means they have bleached and expelled the zooxanthellae which is the algae used for photosynthesis. The others are correct in they are supposed to be tan.

Op didnt you kinda just prove yourself wrong there? All the pictured you linked had bright purple tips... But yours does not :/ that means yours is bleached :(

Yeah, the ones in the link you attached are a light tan with bright purple tips. In the pic you posted of yours, it looks entirely white with very little color at tips. Its my understanding that pretty much all nems in the lfs are bleached to some extent when you buy them, the lfs just doesn't usually have the right lighting for them. That doesn't mean that yours can't come back to bein healthy!! I bought a GBTA that was a little bleached not too long ago, and now it's becoming nice brown with green tips. Don't give up on it. Just make sure it gets plenty of light and I give mine very small bits of food every few days, and it's coming back. :)

2 day T5 at 43 watts each is not enough to keep a nem, and with the one you got already bleached Im afraid the out come will be the same as the last nem you had, sorry but your lighting just is not enough

bigben2057 said:
They shouldnt be white it should be tan to brown yours is almost see through that means that they have expelled their zooanthe algae probably in shipping, it will come back with the right lighting and parameters what size tank, and what is your salinity?

Ah I'm glad I know now! I never liked the condy anemones and I've only really seen them at petco . So that would make sense that they're bleached...our local petco has a very very low survival rate :(

Thanks everyone. I wasn't trying to prove anything to anyone. I didn't notice the light brown on the ones I posted. I can see how mine is bleached because its almost see through. I think I'm going to take it back because of this and half of my fish have died since I put it in. My blue hippo tang was dead when I woke up this morning. I also lost my yellow tang and a clown fish late Saturday. So I hope that its not dying and killing my fish with it. It opened back up last night over time.

You seem to have problems with every fish you put in your tank. And having a Hippo and a Yellow in a 35 (please correct me if I am wrong) is part of the reason they died. I would take the nem back and slow down and figure out what is wrong with your set up, do not add anything else until you get your tank stable. Tangs need a 6 ft tank and nems need stable water conditions and high out put lighting and right now you do not have either one. Not trying to flame but to lose all your fish in a very short period of time means there is something wrong and it wasnt the nem. no one wants to see you lose any more fish than you already have. Start with the history and the test results and we can try and help figure out what is wrong.

Meagan said:
I haven't had any issues with fish until just recently. Parameters are normal.

Sorry, but you are doing something wrong for those fish to die randomly like that. It wasent the nem. Re think EVERYTHING you are doing IMO

Back
Top Bottom