Anemone!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G1203

Aquarium Advice Freak
Traded some of my nepthea tree leather coral and got a green bubble tip nem!!!!
The clowns seem pretty interested in it!!!

image-1857436226.jpg

Nem is very bleached, what type of lighting do you have? It will need high output lighting and pristine stab,e water conditions to survive. And with all the cryno on you sand you do not have the water conditions that it needs,

The cyano is going away. I have a two bulb t5 over the 36 gallon tank that the rest of the corals thrive under. But againa the cyano Is going away fast! I don't think heis doing to bad because I took the pic right when I put him in and now he has doubled in greenness!!!! (If that's even a word lol)!

The cyano is going away. I have a two bulb t5 over the 36 gallon tank that the rest of the corals thrive under. But againa the cyano Is going away fast! I don't think heis doing to bad because I took the pic right when I put him in and now he has doubled in greenness!!!! (If that's even a word lol)!

You need way more lighting than that or it will die.

What do you recommend?

Either a 6bulb t5, reef capable LEDs, or metal halide. You should go look at the "best bang for your buck" thread on this site. They mention Chinese LEDs that you could buy off ebay called taotronics that are inexpensive and works great. Got myself one also. Would hate to see that beautiful anemone die.

I had problems keeping a gbta with a 4 bulb t5.. I have 3 of the taotronics mentioned for a 6 foot tank with no problems. Big difference in the light required for softies and for nems.

I just took the $1000 dollar plunge for 2 Maxspect Ravor LED system for my 125. Have had 500 watts of MH for 5 years, have 6 nems and they set inches from 6 open power heads, so nervous about changing their lighting. Mine haven't moved in 5 years, must say though, these lights are sweet. My nems sat 4 inches under the MH, now their about 10 inches under the new lighting, still only have them max out at 85%, will slowly bump them up too 100 during the day, 300 watts a day for 7 hours saved, :) and no more yearly $150 bulb changes, mixed reef so it will be interesting to watch coral growth

image-1459855308.jpg

Look who's gotta new friend lol the anemone looks way more green today!!!! I think he is gonna be fine and he was as big as the palm of my hand yesterday and now he is the size of a softball!!!! Lol

He looks white in the pic but he is green

Look who's gotta new friend lol the anemone looks way more green today!!!! I think he is gonna be fine and he was as big as the palm of my hand yesterday and now he is the size of a softball!!!! Lol

He looks okay now, but give it a couple of months and it will start to lose color and possibly split. 2 bulbs can't even keep lps alive. If I were you and wanted to keep the nem healthy I'd get something stronger.

View attachment 187202

Sorry I know it not what you want to hear but it doesnt not look green at all, they can lose all their zooxanthellae over night, but it takes months and months of perfect lighting, pristine and stable water conditions to start to gain it back, and as others have said you do not have the proper lighting to keep it alive alone to bring it back from a bleaching.

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so, Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting.Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting.

just so you know they are notorious for splitting, started with one ended with 5 6 months later removed 4 took them to the lfs and they wouldent give me anything for them as they split that often.

just so you know they are notorious for splitting, started with one ended with 5 6 months later removed 4 took them to the lfs and they wouldent give me anything for them as they split that often.

Splitting is normally a bad sign for nems. It's a survival response to stress.

++1

I made my mistakes with my first nem. (Good thing I was given it free by a local reefer) but yeah it started soft ball size, split to 3, grew, then split again. But now I am more knowledgeable about anemones and their conditions needed.

lol ive been told that but i have a rose bubble on the other side of the tank and it does not split gbta are notorious for splitting even in pristine water conditions but you must know more then me

lol ive been told that but i have a rose bubble on the other side of the tank and it does not split gbta are notorious for splitting even in pristine water conditions but you must know more then me

I have 6 year old GBTA that is 14-18 inches and he has never moved or split, so I guess I cant agree with that. But I run 2 x250 MH across the middle of my 125, and HO t5 across the back that come on early and stay on late. One of my t5 fixtures died, so I ordered a new one and just threw a PC fixture on top just for the lighting, and in the week it took to get the new fixture, my RBTA split 2 times, once I got the new fixture on, it never split again. And it has been in there for 3-4 years before that in the same spot. So they are VERY dependent stability and very sensitive to any changes, even short term.

Back
Top Bottom