Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

anemone

what would be the easiest anemone to keep? i know that none are really easy. but i'd like to have one in four or five months after my tank matures a while. can anemone's be kept with PC lighting? or is MH required?

Old 01-09-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to shuboney
:-(

I have 2 65watt Power Compacts and I just lost a long tentacle anemone. I found out after I bought it that I didn't have strong enough lights.

Another case of a mis-informed consumer causing the loss of animal life. I feel like a bad person now :-(

Please do your research before you get one... I wish I had and will for future purchases.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alot of it will be determined by your tank depth - Rose BTAs and Green BTAs have been kept under pcs or vhos, in tanks of 24" or less where they can perch high on rocks.

Tho admittedly they will fare much better under more intense (MH or T5?) lighting.

I saw in your profile that you have a 10 gal tank. IMO that is tooooo small for any of the anemone species available. The difficulty of keeping them will be magnified in a tank of that size. If your question pertains to a larger tank - disregard this comment.

Some good links for good anemone info.

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/in...a/anemonef.htm

http://www.freewebs.com/karenssaltwater/
Old 01-09-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmmmm, how bout a leather toadstool? would that be too big for a 10 gal?
Old 01-09-2005, 01:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah a toadstool will eventually get too big...... You can get a condylactis anemone.... don't need much light and they are tough little suckers..... clowns won't host them though....
Old 01-09-2005, 01:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

right now my clown is "hosting"/cudling with my power head. it's pretty cute.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
My Clownfish pair love their Green Hairy Mushroom. They are easy to keep, not light demanding and they will live through the occational mistake. I also find them to be quite attractive.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have heard of people who have had their clowfish host a condy before. I know someone who is attempting it only because he already has 3 of them in his tank (no room for more). It isn't entirely impossible but highly unlikely.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone else have anything unsual being hosted by a clown? i like the shroom idea. i don't think mine are very picky since they seem to be in love with my powerhead.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want something that looks like an anenome, but is easier to keep, go for a green tipped torch coral. My clowns spend just as much time in that as they do my rose BTA. They also spend time in my toadstools, hammer coral and hairy mushrooms.

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com