Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am goin to be getting a PC setup in like two weks when i get paid. Will it give enough lighting. It has two 96 watt bulbs. For a total of about 4.8 watts per gallon. Will that be ok? I also get to choose the bulbs that come with it. Which two should i choose? Actinic, 10k, or 50/50. Which two would be best. And why would everything in the tank die? Will this be enough light for other corals to grow in? My tank is a 40gallon. I realy would like to have some more corals and a lot of coraline growth.

The light i want is the third one ($168):
http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/detailcat.asp?CatID=ltpc&SubCatID=satellite#

Is this a good one?

And why would everything in the tank die?

When an Anemone dies in a tank, it can release a lot of toxins and biological waste in that water. This pollutes the water and can start kill creatures which starts a chain reaction of death until the tank is gone.

A 2x96 fixture would work just fine. However, not sure if the anemone will last that long.

Well, I picked up my LTA at Petco. I can assure you they were using regular florescent, since they normally only keep fish (Normally). The Anemone was out and spread wide open, so I think it will be ok. FOr long term success you should consider stronger lighting and feeding it to help it along until he gets happy. I have 440 watts of VHO over my 75G and I had a BTA keel over. Anemones are difficult, even the 'easy' ones to get acclimated and keep them happy. Read the links in my previous post and then read some more. The more research you do, the better the outcome for both of you..

Best of luck

Thanks for all the info guys. Do u think that is a good brand of light fixture? I know the wattage is good but what about the fixture? One thing i can say is that they both seem happy are spread out and are eating well. i fed them every four days.

Current USA fixtures (satellite & orbit) are probably a mid-level fixture. Pretty good. I have a satellite fixture and recently had to replace a ballast (actinic side) and the fixture was 7months old. Talk to Darin at Captive Reefs. He will set you up with the best, most appropriate fixture for your money.

Fireman

Back
Top Bottom