Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it normal for an anemone to shrink up all the time? Sometimes mine shrinks up and detaches from whatever it is on. Is this ok?

It's a pink tip. I have regular NO lighting one 50/50 one 10,000k. the third time its detached not not sure how long it was attached. maybe three days at lost each time.

Also is there a difference between using distilled and spring water for water changes. I can't afford an ro/di unit right now and it only cost .33 a gallon.

When an anemone goes on the move it is ussually beacuae it is not happy with something (parameters, flow, lighting, etc...). Honeslty, NO lighting is not enough to support an anemone. Without the proper lighting it will bleech and die. Do you know the species?

Spring water is not recommended. Distilled water will be your best bet. Some distilled water used to be done with copper tubing. I dont think this is the case anymore but just something to think about.

143gadgets said:
Also is there a difference between using distilled and spring water for water changes.
Distilled would be the better choice as long as the process is not via copper tubing. Spring water is no better than tap when it comes to marine aquaria. Great for drinking but it's loaded with minerals, metals and other elements that will quickly fuel unwanted algaes.

Cheers
Steve

It is a bubble tip I think. the guy at the LFS said that it needed no special lighting. I have NO bulbs. I have had them for about a week and they show no signs of discoloration or stress.

I guess I have to disagree with the guy from your LFS. THis anemone will not survive under NO lighting.

THis anemone will not survive under NO lighting
I agree. You'll need atleast 4 watts of light per gallon of aquarium water using fluorescent bulbs. They contain zooxanthellae, therefore they require "special" lighting. HTH

Need better lighting...
I don't know why LFS do this to peeps..
My LFS will not sell you something if your tank won't support it !

I agree that you need more light BUT, I disagree with this whole Watts per gallon thing!!
Watt is a measurement of energy needed to create light, NOT the actual light output. A 23watt florescent light is equal to 100Watt incadecent light bulb. Lumens is the measurement of actual light. Sure watts per gallon is a good guideline, but how much do you want to bet that a 200watt Jebo lighting system puts out less light than a 200watt High-end lighting system.

Just mt 2 cents......

I disagree with this whole Watts per gallon thing!!

WPG is commonly used when referring to fluorescent lighting on reef aquariums(I know of no one who uses incandescent bulbs on a reef). It is, IMO, a very good rule of thumb for beginners. It doesn't apply to MH. I have 720 watts over my 55 which is 13.1 WPG-it would be ridiculous overkil, IMO,l to have those sort of numbers using fluorescent. No need to overcomplicate something that works :wink:

I've been told your tank needs to be atleast a year old to support an anenome. I waited a year to get my bulb tip and it is doing fine. I have 1 65 watt 50/50 bulb over my 29 gal tank. I've had my anenome for over 6 monthes now.

A little over a month old.

In all seriousness, you are running a very high likelyhood of nuking your tank with that anemone in there. Your tank is not mature enough and almost no one would reccomend NO lights for an anemone. Might want to look at returning it to the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom