Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

anemone

is it a good idea to move an anemone to a refugium and let it grow, considering it is still small to host my clownfish and i feel it might also impede on its development(anemone) because the clownfish keeps "playing" with it.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No don't move it. If anything the clown will help it. The clown and the anemone both benefit from each other. The anemone gives the clown a safe place, and the clown gwill feed the anemone. Trust me, it's a good thing to have your anemone hosting the clown.

Besides, you would have to have some strong lights in the fuge to keep it alive. What type and how many watts of light do you have on your tank right now?

Old 02-16-2005, 04:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im running a MH running at 6.5 Watts to the gallon and i Have a Coralife running in the fuge at 5 watts to the gallon.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool!! The anemone will be fine in your main. How long has the tank been set up?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the clown is too ruff on the anemone a strawberry crate( the container strawberries come in when you buy them at a grocery)can be placed over it to keep the clown out.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how is the clownfish going to be to rough? I wouldn't even think about putting anything over the anemone. That would impedede it's growth and feeding. I agree with rev the clown is good for the anemone. I mean why would a clown harm it's home?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
steve-s

Actually depending on the species/size of the clown and the anemone, the clown can and will damage their host quite easily. Many species of clown are quite aggressive in their "play" within the anemone that can lead to tears in the disc or damage to the mouth. Especially if the clown is large and the anemone on the small side.

The berry basket is actually a good way to prevent the clown from getting into the anemone while it matures. Light can still get in quite easily and feeding isn't necessary.

FWIW, the anemone receives no real benefit from the clown. It's pretty much a one sided relationship. Clowns are moreso parasites in that regard.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-16-2005, 11:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow. Shut my mouth. Sorry for the wrong info. That's what I get for thinking I know. Now I do for sure. Check my Signature.....Now you know....
Old 02-17-2005, 12:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
FWIW, the anemone receives no real benefit from the clown. It's pretty much a one sided relationship. Clowns are moreso parasites in that regard.
I do believe that the clownfish does provide a few benefits for the anemone. In the wild, clownfish will chase away coral- eating fishes, such as butterflyfish. A clownfish may also earn its keep by cleaning away wastes from the anemone's oral disc, and its tentacles may benefit from extra oxygen due to increased water circulation as the fish swims through them. Ammonia from the gills and exretement of clownfishes almost surely nourishes the host anemone (including the zooxanthellae algae) as well. (Joyce Wilkerson, "Clownfishes")

I do believe that anemones have a better rate of survival in the wild when fish are present. I do not know if it makes a big difference in captivity. HTH
Old 02-18-2005, 12:43 AM   #10
steve-s

Anemones will live long lives with or without fish . There presence or lack there of will not affect that either way. The only functional benefit would be detritus being cleared away a little faster than would have happened without a clown brushing through the tentacles. Anemones are quite efficient at removing unwanted debris from their mouth and surrounding disc. The ammonia would be negligable, zooxanthellae uses only minute quatities along with other nitrogenous compounds that would easily be gained from simple water ingestion. If anything, the excess ammonia and other wastes produced by the hosting fish would be a negative impact, not a possitive one.

As for protecting the anemone, it really depends on the attacker and it's size. Certain clown species will quite agressively defend their host but a greater percentage would just as easily turn tail.

In the long run their is no clear benefit to the anemone. The rest is mere speculation and at best anecdotal.

JMHO
Cheers
Steve

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com