Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

The clown fish is an osclaris. The water levels on the tank are excellent except for nitrate which is high but coming down. We are adding a gal of water a wk right now. But we might up it to be on the safe side. What do you think? We dont have any living rock yet. But we might be getting some from the friend he said he had another box of goodies for us coming soon.

I went ahead and brought the protein skimer because my uncle seemd amazingley happy about the prospect of me getting one(he has several 100 gal tanks.).

With an over the side water filter and a protein skimer i have enough flow right? I saw this cool wave type thing today by hydor that seemed uber cool but is 20 bucks...

Old 01-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to fishrfreinds
212 power sweep. they have flow control so if its to much you can change it. they "sweep side to side" so you get a good wave motion.

Sounds like you know your stuff and I think you"ll be okay with nano.

I dont want to be a Advice Freak!
fishrfreinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

When I was a kid I kept a Beta alive for 5 years. And I had 3 Tetras in a sepearate tank that stayed alive for between 3-5yrs each. I think in that fith year my parents killed them because we were moving and they dident want them to come too. But that is long long ago in the past.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to fishrfreinds
sorry to hear that

I dont want to be a Advice Freak!
fishrfreinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Woah, 2 anemones and 1 urchine all in a 10g?
how long did ur frd keep that tank before giving it to you?
I would say 10g is too small for any anemone except those that too small for any clown fish to host.
Anemone need space to walk around and adjust to their best location to feed or getting enough light.
If you really have a condy ( not sure cuz i can't find the anemone as u type out in search engine). They need strong light a sinple 30watt NO or PC might not be enough for it , u need at least 4.5watt-5watt per gallon if u really want to do some calculation.
On the other hand, condy donnot or rarely host clown fish of any kind. It is possible to keepa pair of small percula in the tank but i will not put too much hope on they might host the anemone. To a beginer I would only suggest BTA as the starter anemone if u MUST include one in ur tank and want to see the great relationship between them and the clown fish.Otherwise I will not even try to keep the anemone especially in a 10g tank.
One more thing,Ur urchine might starve to death later cuz not enough LR which will lead to not enough algae and not enough hiding place for it.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:23 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well the anemone came in a kit he got and they were not compatable with his other fish so the pair in the 10 gal tank and the erchine and the snail. He said it would do fine. I thought a Clown fish would be a good first easy salt water criter.

So what should I do? How much is a light that will be able to keep them alive? They look real good to me. But Im a novice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish_tank_007tiny.jpg (138.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-15-2006, 12:25 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish_tank_009t.jpg (123.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-15-2006, 12:27 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

and another. cant get a good pic of the clown. And the urchine is hiding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish_tank_010t.jpg (118.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-15-2006, 01:51 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yup its a condy,IMO 10 gallon is too small for even just 1 of them. Most anemone need strong water flow strong lighting and good water quality.
I would suggest u go look for a 20 or even 30g (the tank alone shouldn't cost too much) then move on to LR and stuff later on if u want. here is a link u can check out some of the problem or questions about condy and this site is quite helpful to most problem u will encounter.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/condylactisfaq2.htm

The next problem would be those Caulerpa in ur tank.not only it could out grow anything in ur tank and become a problem all by themself. Or they might release too much toxic gass into the system and made the water quality go down.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/caulerpafaq2.htm
One more thing about having a 10g is that, the smaller the tank u have, the harder to keep thing alive.Mokt because the lack of water change u do. You might start really good do water change every few days, then start to feel lazy on it and start to have longer and longer gap between water change. If u have a large tank, this might be less of a problem.But since its small and it will get pulluted very easily.
My best luck with you, hope u get everything sort out.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:06 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

THe Caulerpa are ortiaments not the real thing. They came on the rock that our bud gave us.

I would go biger but our apt only allows up to 10 gal.

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com