anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

accorddude

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my room mate and I had a 10 gal tank given to us by one of our good buds. His wife said the 10 gal tank had to go since he now has a 75 gal tank going strong.

The tank came to us with two condalictus(sp) anemonies in it, an erchine, and a snail.

About 3 days ago I bought a osclaris clown fish to go with it. I knew that he would not host with our condalictus. So my question is can I take the anemonies that we have to a fish store and like sell them back/give them to them and get a stichodactyla gigantea or something simular that my clown fish will host.

I have heard that anemenies are not good fish for amatures so should we stick with the ones we have and dont bother?

And what other equipment do we need? We have the tank, a heater and themomoter, and a filter. Do we need a protein skimmer? or anything else?

condy are fine for beg. look to left, the picture is when i was begginer. just keep up with tank. how much light is getting? If not much target feed it. a skimmer is up to you it well help with water changes. buy a test kit if you dont have one. keep the params right and it shoould look nice. but as for the other anemonies just wait on those. But if you do want to get rid of them lfs will usually take them.

So good luck and Welcome to Aquarium Advice.

It has a good amount of light getting in. The light was for a 10 gal coral tank. But it is about 6mo old so we have been advised it needs replaced.

15 watts and its not the normal size for a 10 gal it hangs over like 2 in on each side

buy a new hood and get the screw in pc bulbs that are 50/50 30 watts. and that should be good in a small tank. im guessing you only have a flourensent tube.

And I was doing more research and it says that a single clown fish needs 30gal of water? So is my 10 going to kill him when he is grown? Or is their a way around it?

basically what you have right now is nano tank. there smaller and a lot harder to keep control of. A bigger tank would be nicer to start you off but it sound like its kinda of mature. are there any live rocks in there. And on the clownfish note youll be okay with it. but rember that having a smaller tank you going to have more water changes. what type of clown do you have.

The clown fish is an osclaris. The water levels on the tank are excellent except for nitrate which is high but coming down. We are adding a gal of water a wk right now. But we might up it to be on the safe side. What do you think? We dont have any living rock yet. But we might be getting some from the friend he said he had another box of goodies for us coming soon.

I went ahead and brought the protein skimer because my uncle seemd amazingley happy about the prospect of me getting one(he has several 100 gal tanks.).

With an over the side water filter and a protein skimer i have enough flow right? I saw this cool wave type thing today by hydor that seemed uber cool but is 20 bucks...

212 power sweep. they have flow control so if its to much you can change it. they "sweep side to side" so you get a good wave motion.

Sounds like you know your stuff and I think you"ll be okay with nano.

When I was a kid I kept a Beta alive for 5 years. And I had 3 Tetras in a sepearate tank that stayed alive for between 3-5yrs each. I think in that fith year my parents killed them because we were moving and they dident want them to come too. But that is long long ago in the past.

Woah, 2 anemones and 1 urchine all in a 10g?
how long did ur frd keep that tank before giving it to you?
I would say 10g is too small for any anemone except those that too small for any clown fish to host.
Anemone need space to walk around and adjust to their best location to feed or getting enough light.
If you really have a condy ( not sure cuz i can't find the anemone as u type out in search engine). They need strong light a sinple 30watt NO or PC might not be enough for it , u need at least 4.5watt-5watt per gallon if u really want to do some calculation.
On the other hand, condy donnot or rarely host clown fish of any kind. It is possible to keepa pair of small percula in the tank but i will not put too much hope on they might host the anemone. To a beginer I would only suggest BTA as the starter anemone if u MUST include one in ur tank and want to see the great relationship between them and the clown fish.Otherwise I will not even try to keep the anemone especially in a 10g tank.
One more thing,Ur urchine might starve to death later cuz not enough LR which will lead to not enough algae and not enough hiding place for it.

Well the anemone came in a kit he got and they were not compatable with his other fish so the pair in the 10 gal tank and the erchine and the snail. He said it would do fine. I thought a Clown fish would be a good first easy salt water criter.

So what should I do? How much is a light that will be able to keep them alive? They look real good to me. But Im a novice

Attachments

• fish_tank_007tiny.jpg
    fish_tank_007tiny.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 37
and another. cant get a good pic of the clown. And the urchine is hiding.

Attachments

• fish_tank_010t.jpg
    fish_tank_010t.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 24
yup its a condy,IMO 10 gallon is too small for even just 1 of them. Most anemone need strong water flow strong lighting and good water quality.
I would suggest u go look for a 20 or even 30g (the tank alone shouldn't cost too much) then move on to LR and stuff later on if u want. here is a link u can check out some of the problem or questions about condy and this site is quite helpful to most problem u will encounter.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/condylactisfaq2.htm

The next problem would be those Caulerpa in ur tank.not only it could out grow anything in ur tank and become a problem all by themself. Or they might release too much toxic gass into the system and made the water quality go down.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/caulerpafaq2.htm
One more thing about having a 10g is that, the smaller the tank u have, the harder to keep thing alive.Mokt because the lack of water change u do. You might start really good do water change every few days, then start to feel lazy on it and start to have longer and longer gap between water change. If u have a large tank, this might be less of a problem.But since its small and it will get pulluted very easily.
My best luck with you, hope u get everything sort out.

THe Caulerpa are ortiaments not the real thing. They came on the rock that our bud gave us.

I would go biger but our apt only allows up to 10 gal.

Back
Top Bottom