anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
After the cycle is finished, what is the wait time to establish a good system to get an anemone? I have a FOWLR but I think I would like to get an anemone. I do know that I need to upgrade my lighting. But, how long should I wait before I go buy an anemone? Thank you.

I've always advised people to wait at least six months after the nitrogen cycle is established prior to introducing an anemone. This gives time for the system to mature into a stable environment, which is what anemones and coral need...stability and that can only come with time, patience and proper equipment (the correct lighting, protein control with either a skimmer or refugium, water pumps to create current, etc).

At least 6 months from what I understand. I know it took my tank a long time to be ready for anemones. You should get your tank to a point where it is very stable, ph and alk always the same or atleast balanced, good test results, all that. Try to find an anemone that is captive raised, those tend to be pretty hardy (especially bubble tips). Mine came from a buddy of mine (whose anemone had split twice) and it has already split in mine!

I always suggest 6-9 months. You`ll know because you`ll have established your PWC schedule and your water test results will be stable.

I agree! At the very least 6 months and more then that for better results! You will need excellent filtration, lots of LR and a fuge wouldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom