anemone and clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhomb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys i had a maroon clown for about 1 week now, and i dont have any anemone is it ok? the clown looks happy anyway, but he keeps getting to the top of the tank, is it normal?

second question, i have 3 bulbs on my tank right now, theyre all 15 watts, 1 actinic light and 2 power glow light, do you think its ok for FOWLR.
Im thinking of getting a 2X65 watts w/ monlight included, for 130$ on Ebay, is it really necessary?
TIA

I know the clown will be ok with out an anemone but not sure about the lights... I think the lights are fine but I am still kind of a newbie.

With the low lighting you have you won't get a lot of the purple coralline algae growth on your LR. If that is okay with you then the lights are fine for FOWLR.

Clowns are very odd swimmers. Mine will sit in the corner for a while, hang at the top, sometimes even sit on the bottom. They love sitting in the cleaner shrimp station. I too want to get them an anemone. It is not needed, but cool to watch :)

I would suggest not getting an anemone unless you are super prepapred for them. You need at least a large tank, super high lighting and they have to be pampered all the time (hand fed etc..). These are creatures that have close to limitless lifespans in the sea and tend to die off in less than a year in aquariums. Don't get one of these creatures lightly.

Plus pretty much all clown fish are captive raised and never have even seen an anemone so they don't need one. They will find their own place, probably some coral or a little cave somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom