Anemone Care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tangaloo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently aquired two anenomes from a friend who was takign down her tank. One is a bubble tip anemone and the other is a long tenacled anenome. I have not had very much experience with anemones and am looking around for tips on what to feed them, their habits, and what kind of parameters they like. I have a 16 gallon bow front nano reef that has been set up and running for almost a year now. It has a biowheel setup with two other pumps for circulation and i used to have a skimmer on it but found that it works better with it off. I do a water change approx of five gallons every two or three weeks. The salinity is kept at 1.024, ph is 8.3-8.4, the nitrates are usually between 0-10, and i have a 15w actinic fourescent and an 18w power compact lights on the tank (is this enough light?). I have two other types of corals which have been in the tank for at least six months now. They are button polyps and some purple mushrroms and have been thriving quite well. Along with the anemone's i also inherited a small tomoato clown (he's only about 1'' right now) and a cleaner shrimp. My residents are 2 percula's, a lawnmower blennie and an adult peppermint shrimp. the shrimp seemto be getting along ok but one of my percula's definitely does not liek the clown. They all seem to hang out int heir own anemone's so i am hoping this is just a dominence issue. If not i plan to redo the rock arrangement in the tank and hopefully that will help a little. Any suggestons of what i should do to take care of my anemones would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have the anemones in the tank already? They will move around until they find their "spot". That is a small tank and i hope they are not too large, they will have sweepers at night. with the pc lighting they may move towards the top of the tank....not sure if that will be enough or not. What deep is the tank? You should be fine on the lighting if not you might have to pile the rock work up so they can be closer to the lights. As for feeding just keep adding what you usually do for your other corals if you add plankton, etc.. I believe you can also feed them feeder fish using plastic tongs. Also are you adding calcium, and other beneficial additives? HTH

Welcome to AA!!

Is a general practise to not mix clowns together, especially in such a small tank. The clowns will become stressed from each other. If your percs were laying eggs she will stop because they will become preoccupied with defending their territory. Re-arranging the rocks will not help because the clowns will still be close to each other.

Since your lighting is low the anemone would benefit from feedings at least once every three days with meaty foods like, krill, silversides, etc. If you haven't done so you should anemone proof your tank by covering your PH, filter intakes with a sponge or screen to prevent the anemones from getting sucked in and shredded to bits when they wander around your tank.

The tank is 17 inches high and right now the live rock reaches about halfway up. I did notice my bubbletip getting closer to the lights but my long tentacle anemone just stays down on the substrate (its sand). i feed my corals phytoplankton and i have been feeding the anemone's smal pieces of formula one at least once a week. I just got a hold of some more live rock for free, yay! So i'll try to build up my rocks closer to the lights. I have also been adding seachem calcium, reef builder, and reef plus to my system. I do know your not supposed to mix clowns together so maybe i'll try and find a home to adopt my tomato clown out to.

Looks like you at least making a effort here to make them happy. Good for you. I am getting one too, so I am concerned about the same things you are. If I own it I want it to be happy.

Is the live rock cured or will you have dieoff? If its been outta the water for any extended period i would recommend curing it before introduction into your main tank. HTH

The live rock is cured. Its only been out of water when moving it into new buckets of water so there should be very little dieoff. I scrubbed them before i put them in my tank just in case though.

Back
Top Bottom