Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Anemone Compatibility

Based on a recommendation from my LFS, two weeks ago I purchased a bubble-tip anemone for my two-saddleback clownfish. The anemone appears healthy (open and gets plenty of light), but the clownfish want nothing to do with it.

I found a compatibility chart online that says only Sebae and Stichodactyla mertensii anemone are compatible with my clowns. My local LFS assurred me that the clowns would use the anemone. Is there anyway to get the clownfish interested in the anemone? Would I be better buying a second, compatible anemone, and adding another clown that is supposed to be compatible with the bulb-tip?

90-gallon marine tank with a couple clowns and sailfin tang. Several invertes including 12 emerald green crabs, 20 hermit crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, 6 turbo snails, and a BTA. Protein skimmer with 100-pounds live rock, Total 495 watts lighting w/2-MH, power compacts and lunars. Ammonia & Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 10, specific gravity: 1.025. Using Sea-Lab 28 and Kalkwaisser to maintain calcium at 400 ppm.
cusemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Someone brought up a good point before about clownfish compatibility in the wild. He/she pretty much said it's because those are the only few anemones the clowns have to choose from in the wild that's located in their habitat. What if clowns had more options for anemones to choose from what would they really pick.

I'v checked out a compatibility chart before and BTA wasn't listed as a natural host for my percs. But my percs still love playing in my BTA. Is it because that's the only option for them in my reef tank, maybe. Or is it because my percs were captive breed and during it's grow out phase they have always been hosted by a BTA and that is what is familar to my percs.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's generally not a good idea to mix two different clown species in the same tank because they will stress each other out fighting for real estate. If you got a big enough tank and their territories don't overlay than it would be better.

Are these wild caught clowns you have? If Yes, than you might have a better chance to get the clown to be hosted in it's natural anemone. Sometimes it takes the clowns anywhere between 1 day to several months before it accepts anemone as an host. Give your clowns sometime and they just might play in the anemone.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, compatibility

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com