Anemone Dilema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new Condy Anemone in my 29 gal SW tank. After being there about a week, it captured a sand bug (a crustacean that is about 1.5 inches long and kind of football shaped). The anemone works on the sand bug for awhile and then releases it, and then takes it up and works on it some more. This cycle has been going on for 2 days, and I'm concerned that whatever guts may be left in the sandbug are rotting. I don't want it to poullute the tank, but I hesitate to take it away from the anemone. Any advice?

Done. Thanks. I was afraid it would be really stinky from rotting, but that turned out not to be the case. The anemone must have done a pretty good job on it and there wasn't much left but shell.

On the subject of anemones, are there any that don't actually wander around the tank, and that just stay in the place you put them (within reason)? The thought of an anemone going all round my tank, clambering over everything isn't too good :p

Most anenome`s will wander till they find a good spot. Alot of times we will place them in a spot that we like but it does not meet the anenome`s needs as far as current, lighting and neighbors. Hence why they move and search for a spot that meets their needs.

On the subject of anemones, are there any that don't actually wander around the tank, and that just stay in the place you put them (within reason)? The thought of an anemone going all round my tank, clambering over everything isn't too good :p
Some anemones, like condys and carpets, are just more likely to wander around through out their lives than others. IME my Sebae has been a model citizen for over 4 years. Hasn't moved more than an inch or two. My BTA's are fairly good, but some will occasionally wander- especially after a split. HTH

If I upgrade my lighting at some point, I'd love a small anemone (if there is such a thing?) that my clown may host, but having a 10G nano I wouldnt want it knocking things over etc. as there's of course very little room, and everything is balanced etc.

Perhaps you have forgotten about those that do dwell within the substrate, Macrodactyla doreensis, Hetractis aurora (crispa sometimes), and Stichodactyla haddoni. If you lighting is strong, you can create a bommie where the anemone would have to travel across the sandbed (rock dwellers, for the most part, will not venture into sand if conditions are good).

10g, imo, is too small for an anemone long-term.

Back
Top Bottom