Anemone dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wentom7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I got an anemone about 5 days ago. Looked perfect first 2 days. Shot some food to it.
It now has white area around mouth. Mouth opens and closes. It's much smaller and is releasing an orange stringy substance. It just shriveled up, (which I hear is common at first) it's the other stuff that has me concerned.
Whatcha think, or know. Thanks friends

Need more info tank size, how long has it been set up , what kind of lights do you have, do you have a picture.

75 gal tank. Set up 6 mo's. Professional did it. (I do believe he knows reef) Lighting- he didn't say except "led" but he does mostly reef. It's the orange stringy stuff and open mouth with white around thats scaring me. Thank you

depending on how the light they were under compares to the lights they are now under - the anemone can release some of its symbiotic zooxanthellae (it the new lighting is stronger) if light acclimation was done too fast the release of the symbiotic teammates resulting in bleaching

Have you tested your parameters? What kind of less? How did you acclimate the anemone do you have a picture of it?

Thank you, my guess (since he grows and reproduces corals) is that my lighting is not as good, yet, since he installed and knows it, i would think adequate. Appreciate your time.

Thank you, my guess (since he grows and reproduces corals) is that my lighting is not as good, yet, since he installed and knows it, i would think adequate. Appreciate your time.
Wish I could do pic. Can I do it with my computer, (pro mac)?

He checked my perimeters, said they're adequate. Acclimated drip method, 2 hours. (water removal after 1) Then, as I said he looked happy little camper for 2 days. You'd think if the water were the issue he'd show signs right away?

You should really ask him what kind of LEDs he put on the tank. Not all LEDs are created equal.

This post is not directed at you, but for all the new nem keepers, post after post after about new nems that are dying or dead. It takes a 12-18 month old tank to even begin to consider getting a nem. If I check previous post from most new nem owners,n they are all about water issues, red slime, things in the tank that they don't know about, if they really need rodi water and on and on. If you are having troubles with the basics, you are not ready to get a nem. If you got a deal off of eBay or some other cheap LEDs, your not equipped to have a nem, if your using anything but rodi water for the last year, you are not ready for a nem, if you have to ask what kind of nem is this, you are not ready for a nem, if you buy a white nem, you are not ready for a nem. With a stable mature tank and the right equipment they are a hardy beautiful creature. They cost $100 because we keep killing them off. Your tank is no different than everyone else who got one and wasn't ready or equipped to have one. No one listens, but everyone just keeps buying and killing them off, so sad

Back
Top Bottom