Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow no thats a not even 2 watts per gallon. I have 492watts in my 55. Some lady bought a Sebea anemone from our work comes back in like a week and asks us why it dies and we asked out much lighting she had in the tank she said maybe 50 watts or so I was like theres your reason. Its funny because I always ask people what they have in there tanks and what hardware and so on, but she always talked to us and we thought she knew what she was doing.. I have 492watts in my 55. Be careful and just because you think it is looking good now, they can shut down and die at any minute.

125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I didn't even notice that. Yeah really, that isn't enough light and your anemone will suffer for it. How long have you had it?

Old 01-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
AAAAAAAhhhhh. Panic mode. What is that 18,000 rating on the light then. Guess I thought I was covered since this was reccommended by several LFS. I thought they where both "High Intensity" bulbs (each 48" long).

Vendor Lingo:
Hagen Power-Glo high intensity aquarium lamp, emits 18000K light spectrum, is ideal for marine tanks, freshwater plant aquariums, corals and invertebrates. High intensity bulb, strong in the blue region of the spectrum, beneficial for the proper photosynthesis of corals, invertebrates and lower species. Stimulates growth of macro marine algae and plants. Rapid start T10 lamp, fits all suitable standard and electronic ballasts. Shipping weight: 3 lbs.

Can I just add MORE lights instead of replace this set? Something to keep my anemone happy? I've had him about 2 weeks now and he seems pretty darn happy. Puffs up around mid-morning for his feeding time. He is also healing from an incident with the power head intake.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's alway been explained to me that the 18K is the color of the light, it's the wattage you need to look at. You can add more light. I would suggest another at least another 160-180w. PC lights are great, this is what I use.

Long term under minimal light will cause your anemone to bleach out and shrink up over time.

Tags
anemone, eat, eating, food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com