Anemone - Eating habits? Not enough food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dscount

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for a general rule of thumb. I've a green bulb tipped anemone (small 2" about) and trying to figure out how much he will actually eat. I generally don't like to pollute the tank with excess food, but he got hurt (powerhead incident) and seems to be rebounding very well now.

I'm inserting thawed mysis shrimp via tube and he grabs as much as possible each time and then opens up about 2-4 minutes later.

How often should I feed him? I've been going like 4-6 days a feeding. Since mr clown is not exactly helping out here. (Tank raised kids...)

One helping (Frozen cube) enough per sitting?

Thanks in advance...

Sounds like a good feeding schedule to me. I feed mine once a week and they are all doing great.

I have a white/brownish bubble tip anemone and have not been feeding it anything but letting it filter feed. It seems to be doing good.

When you mention the tube, do you just let the food out by its mouth and let the flow take it to it?

Actually I use two different methods for feeding him. When I want to make sure he get's a good dose I like to use a small syringe dropper and I just squirt right into this center. Usually a little on the current side so it all lands on his middle.

Second method is a turkey baster (Cleaned via a severe dish wash). I'm not found of this item nor is the Mrs. from using her cooking tools.

Cool thing to watch him going to town eating.

I have a pink BTA and LTA and I have never actually target fed either of them. Thye get what they get a tank feeding time and what they need from my light. My pink BTA has split three times some things must be going okay. I sold the clones to the LFS for credit :lol:

Discount, is your sig up-to-date? I thought a BTA required moderate to high lighting. I’m only seeing 80 watts on your 55 gal. Is that right? Also once all your fish mature you will be overstocked, especially with the blue tang which shouldn’t be in a 55 gal tank IMO. Not trying to berate you but I would really read up on your inhabitants and their needs before buying them.

Sig is up to date. The lights are PowerGlo 18,000 fluorescent bulbs. Just happen to be 40watt each. That enough light? I was under the impression it was good.

Stocking only 5 five in the tank. Plus all the cleaning critters. Tang is pretty much small to medium. I'm already aware of the out growing the tank for the Tang. I expect by that time I will have the 70+ gal available to relocate. As for the others, I'm thinking I still have room to grow. Maybe one more fish MAX.

wow no thats a not even 2 watts per gallon. I have 492watts in my 55. Some lady bought a Sebea anemone from our work comes back in like a week and asks us why it dies and we asked out much lighting she had in the tank she said maybe 50 watts or so I was like theres your reason. Its funny because I always ask people what they have in there tanks and what hardware and so on, but she always talked to us and we thought she knew what she was doing.. I have 492watts in my 55. Be careful and just because you think it is looking good now, they can shut down and die at any minute.

I didn't even notice that. Yeah really, that isn't enough light and your anemone will suffer for it. How long have you had it?

AAAAAAAhhhhh. Panic mode. What is that 18,000 rating on the light then. Guess I thought I was covered since this was reccommended by several LFS. I thought they where both "High Intensity" bulbs (each 48" long).

Vendor Lingo:
Hagen Power-Glo high intensity aquarium lamp, emits 18000K light spectrum, is ideal for marine tanks, freshwater plant aquariums, corals and invertebrates. High intensity bulb, strong in the blue region of the spectrum, beneficial for the proper photosynthesis of corals, invertebrates and lower species. Stimulates growth of macro marine algae and plants. Rapid start T10 lamp, fits all suitable standard and electronic ballasts. Shipping weight: 3 lbs.

Can I just add MORE lights instead of replace this set? Something to keep my anemone happy? I've had him about 2 weeks now and he seems pretty darn happy. Puffs up around mid-morning for his feeding time. He is also healing from an incident with the power head intake.

It's alway been explained to me that the 18K is the color of the light, it's the wattage you need to look at. You can add more light. I would suggest another at least another 160-180w. PC lights are great, this is what I use.

Long term under minimal light will cause your anemone to bleach out and shrink up over time.

Back
Top Bottom