Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

anemone for starters???

I have read so many different opinions on Anemone's that I thought I would bring a question to you veterans of the SW world. What is your "take" or expereince with Anemone's? I am fasinated by their relationship with the clowns and would love to keep some in my new aquarium but have read mixed reviews about them. Can you guy's give me some advice about these animals. Is it possible in a a 50g tank to keep of few of these and a clown or two? What specise works best?

**On a side note I want to say that this forum is the best on the net and I really want to thank all the experienced hobbiests out there who help us newbies out.

if you wish to contact me by email it is da89658965@yahoo.com

Old 07-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Although you may be able to keep an anemone in a 50gal tank, I would suggest waiting until the tank is at least 1 year old. Anemones have a rather dismal survival record in aquariums and they are especially likely to die in a new tank. While you wait for the tank to mature, you'll gain valuable experience in dealing with the various problems that crop up in SW tanks and in keeping water quality where it needs to be for anemones. So, my advice is to read everything you can find on anemones and wait at least one year before adding one to your tank.

Old 07-11-2004, 10:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I suggest that you listen to Logan's suggestions. Well put as usual.

I would start with a small anemone when you do start (after a year). Visually inspect them well before you purchase. Do a couple of searches on this site and you will come up with a couple of websites that go into the topic in-depth. If I was at my home computer, I'd paste the links.

Figure out the type of clowns that you want to get and start setting up for them.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

not meaning to hijack the thread, but what happens to the tank in that year to make it more suitable for an anemone? I can understanding waiting a year for pod population to go up for some fish to survive but I don't understand chemically what happens to help the anemone
Old 07-13-2004, 10:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it has to do with stability. I would imagine a new ecosystem just wouldn't be all that stable at first, chemically or biologically. I also think it's usually the aquarist that needs to mature more than the tank :P

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
. I also think it's usually the aquarist that needs to mature more than the tank
i don't think that's the case since i have seen the year long wait advice given to people with a lot of experiance keep other SW set ups
Old 07-13-2004, 10:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Especially with lr, when it can handle the system and keep things stable, it can do more than you can. All the organisms need to work together. Getting a handle on a tank. Keeping the initial spikes and so forth under control.

Very important in this hobby, Take your time and be patient. You won't regret it.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24 hours? NE!
I would start with a small anemone when you do start (after a year). Visually inspect them well before you purchase. Do a couple of searches on this site and you will come up with a couple of websites that go into the topic in-depth. If I was at my home computer, I'd paste the links.
Here's that link:
http://home.att.net/~karenssaltwater...ome.html-.html

Tags
anemone, starter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com