Anemone Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meagan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently got an anemone. Its hard to tell if its a Sebae or a Bubble tip.

When I first got it, it was completely white. I didn't know that could be an issue after all the research I have done in the past couple days after getting it. It has taken on a bit of green though.

It remains closed up. There is also some type of white slime around it. I cant see some of the tentactles right now because of it.

We placed it on a rock and it has since moved off the rock, I know it will move until it seems fit in the tank. It is currently at the bottom of the tank sitting on the sand. Should I move it to one of the top rocks?

Water parameters are great. Theres great water flow. I have t5 lights. And its a 35 gallon tank.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Did you drip acclimate. If you did all this, then only time will tell. I'll tell ya, my anemone would not tolerate my T5s until I decided to buy ATI bulbs. Then everything flourished. Other than that, Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

Maybe I'm just too new at this, but do you mean drip method by putting the bag in the tank and adding little bits of the water from the tank?

Also what are ATI lights? Would I be able to use them in a regualr fixture? How much do they run for?

You are correct on the drip acclimate. Usually and hour + process. Also, ATI are just a high quality T5HO bulb. I run 4 ATIs (2 of there coral plus and 2 of there blue plus). Around 20$ per bulb.

Edit - drip is having a piece of airline tubing dripping slowly into the the bag or bowl you put the coral in, slowly matching the salinity, etc.

T5HO is the bulb type. ATI is one of many T5HO manufactures. You can have T5HO bulbs that are not giving out enough PAR for your anemone to survive.

Meagan said:
Would it help if I moved it to the top of the tank on one of the rock that sits highest??

It might, but if your bulbs are not giving off enough PAR, then it may not be enough.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Thank you for your advice. I think its too late though. Moved him and the tentacles are like overflowing and longer on one.

Just give it some time, I would say get a newer ATI or other high quality bulb or two, he may pull threw strong as ever.

I dont know if I really have time. It looks like its falling apart. I know they may be poisonous to the tank if it dies too.

This is true, they can crash a system if the tank is small. Have you had any trouble keeping sps like montipora? If you can keep them, then I would say you could keep an anemone.

I've only ever had fish and live rock. Maybe I was in over my head and my tank wasn't established enough including lights. My boyfriend wants metal halide lights, but my gosh I was looking at the prices...and wow...

Yeah, I know, I am in 400$ on lights over my 30g. unfortunately these things are needed if you want to keep high light/photosynthetic animals. Check out http://www.aquatraders.com/ for some affordability. It would be easier and cheaper to get an odyssey fixture from them and then find a batter bulb after.

Back
Top Bottom