anemone help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyR6Rocks

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had it for a month and its been looking good, now tonight it looks like its on its way out. I was told by my lfs to feed it once a week. I've been feeding it a combination of formula two, & mysis shrimp. Tank is 6 months old everything else looks healthy including the frags I have. Water is rodi weekly 10% water changes. Parameters as follows:

Salinity 1.026
ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 40 which I know is a little high but was told in the past that that means the end of a cycle. Thanks for any help

I don't think your tank should be at the end of the cycle after being up for 6 months. That's to high for a tank that's 6 months old. Your nitrates are still to high. What is your feeding schedule for the fish you have. I would suggest more frequent water changes until you get those nitrates under 20. Although fish can deal with 40 nitrates, corals, etc. are much more sensitive.

I don't think your tank should be at the end of the cycle after being up for 6 months. That's to high for a tank that's 6 months old. Your nitrates are still to high. What is your feeding schedule for the fish you have. I would suggest more frequent water changes until you get those nitrates under 20. Although fish can deal with 40 nitrates, corals, etc. are much more sensitive.

Feed every two days then three days a combination of mysis shrimp, pellet food, and algae or seaweed strips for my grazers.

I've had it for a month and its been looking good, now tonight it looks like its on its way out. I was told by my lfs to feed it once a week. I've been feeding it a combination of formula two, & mysis shrimp. Tank is 6 months old everything else looks healthy including the frags I have. Water is rodi weekly 10% water changes. Parameters as follows:

Salinity 1.026
ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 40 which I know is a little high but was told in the past that that means the end of a cycle. Thanks for any help

Nitrates way to high for 6 month old tank anything over 20 is not good at all do you use macro? Ideally under 5 on nitrate is acceptable

Do you clean your canister those nitrates are building somewhere

Cleaned filter about a month ago and replaced all media. Looking back at all my tests from month to month treated have always been at least 20 just never a problem till now. Tank is a 90 gal. with about 100lb. Live rock and agronite.

Cleaned filter about a month ago and replaced all media. Looking back at all my tests from month to month treated have always been at least 20 just never a problem till now. Tank is a 90 gal. with about 100lb. Live rock and agronite.

*trates. Dumb spell check

If you're going to use a canister filter, you need to clean it well every week. That means squeezing out all sponges, and rinsing and shaking the ceramic rings. Clean these things in the old tank water from the pwcs every week. And don't ever change out all the media at once, it needs to be changed on a rotating schedule- I usually change 1 thing per week in my canister. If well maintained, a canister will not be a nitrate factory.

If you're going to use a canister filter, you need to clean it well every week. That means squeezing out all sponges, and rinsing and shaking the ceramic rings. Clean these things in the old tank water from the pwcs every week. And don't ever change out all the media at once, it needs to be changed on a rotating schedule- I usually change 1 thing per week in my canister. If well maintained, a canister will not be a nitrate factory.

Great! Thanks I was hoping for a solution without replacing my filter.

You stocked a nem too quick. Your tank parameters are not stable. Also what kind of lighting do you have on the 90? Nems in pristine water condition and high lighting, never need fed. Mu oldest nem is 7 years old and maybe gets a silver side once a month. High nitrates and maybe not enough lighting let your nem hang on for 6 months but they cant live in less than ideal water conditions long. Glad your other corals are doing good but that means nothing, corals/fish/animals all have different requirements. Just because 1 coral is doing good doesn't mean your tank is capable of supporting all corals.

Back
Top Bottom