Anemone help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only time will tell. They are funny creatures. Just leave it be, let it do its thing and just watch and see thats really all you can do

Anyone have experience with anemones . The first day he was fine. He moved around like everything I've read. Our marron clown hosted in him day one. Then a week later he was still under rocks. I turned the rock over and found a flat anemone. I have fed it and it responded. Then today he looked like this. I believe I need to get it out of my tank. Anyone agree or has anyone ever recovered a sick anemone. Please help any advice thanks.

See other suggestions and photos as well .

Attachments

• image-1562338104.jpg
    image-1562338104.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1432777570.jpg
    image-1432777570.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2413151142.jpg
    image-2413151142.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 81
Is it time to take him out?

Attachments

• image-1968068421.jpg
    image-1968068421.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 110
Personally, I just don't believe a 4 bulb is enough to keep an anemone under. I tried it and failed on my 36 gallon tank, a lesson learned.
Is it possible to move the rock he is attached to? I had a stubborn BTA at one point, he would do similar things to what yours is doing. I would flip the rock over for him to start getting some light. In the end, I traded him for about 2000 pods for my mandarin since he just wouldn't do well.
This being said, with more diligence yours will do just fine. I have a red bta doing great, I had just got over the green one. Since anemone don't have a brain, it might just not realize what it is doing. Try to move the rock he is on and see what happens.
mine has been under my t5HOS for a year now and look at my avatar its healthy and beautiful, the key to it is keep them under quality lamps like ATI or KZ

So my anemone is still kicking it seems. It's been another week or so and this is what it looks like. Anyone ever experience this and do u think he is reviving himself??

Attachments

• image-3564780478.jpg
    image-3564780478.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1282421449.jpg
    image-1282421449.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 83
I just read what kinda lights u have..that's y it's bleaching And dying u dont have the right light .

I disagree with the lighting comments. A bleaching anemone does not look like that, and doesn't hide from light either.
I would look to parameters. Are you adding anything to the tank in the way of supplements?
I would do a few water changes and see what that does.
I would not toss it just yet. Yes, it can recover if you can figure out the problem.

Do you have an auto top off and what is the rate? In my experience with anemone they are very sensitive when topping off fresh water and with large volume in a short period of time.

I disagree with the lighting comments. A bleaching anemone does not look like that, and doesn't hide from light either.
I would look to parameters. Are you adding anything to the tank in the way of supplements?
I would do a few water changes and see what that does.
I would not toss it just yet. Yes, it can recover if you can figure out the problem.

I am using kalkwasser. 4tsp in a 4 gallon bucket. I have a float switch set up to a toms aqua lifter. When water evaporates it adds the kalk mix to the sump. I go through 4 gallons in about 5 to 6 days. I was running gfo but I unplugged that.

Well you started off saying that you have a mature tank of 8 months, that in my opinion is not a mature tank. You are dosing and that also is unusual for a young tank. Whenever you dosing something and it is not needed then you throw something else off. I think that it is your water chemistry. My current 125 has been up for 5 years, and I never do anything but WC. I have 6 nems and the oldest is about 8 years old. As far as lighting my nems sit 4 inches under 2x250 MH lighting. So I have some doubts about your lighting. He isnt starving to death because he was under a rock for a week, I never feed mine. I would stop dosing and stick with water changes, I have never had any issues with nems and I just give good lighting. WC and stable conditions. I actually sucked one off a rock accidentally 6 months ago while cleaning the sand, put him back into a hole where he would stay and it had no effect what so ever. :)

My nem exhibited the same thing (shrinks) when my ATO turns on. I decided to make my ATO fills up fresh water more gently by installing a valve to the plastic airline tubing and it started recovering. I suggest turning off your ATO for 1 day and observe.

If the issue is stemming from the ato, it wouldn't be from the topping off of fresh water it would be from the kalk that is being added. At 8 months I don't know why this is being used and I would have to go back on my lighting statement from awhile ago to point my finger in that direction.

Large water changes to get parameters normalized and see what happens.

If the issue is stemming from the ato, it wouldn't be from the topping off of fresh water it would be from the kalk that is being added. At 8 months I don't know why this is being used and I would have to go back on my lighting statement from awhile ago to point my finger in that direction.

Large water changes to get parameters normalized and see what happens.

Okay so should I stop kalk altogether because today when my pump was running dry and no kalk mixture was being added our colt coral which was looking bad started to chipper up and look better. So if I start altogether what about the lower ph. Before kalk I was at like 7.8 to 8.0 and with it I'm at 8.3 to 8.4 and my hard corals are loving it

Back
Top Bottom